Fire doors

pansyflower

Anyone like me concerned about the number of blocked firedoors in supermarkets?
After frequent verbal complaints to in-store management it's still happening. Excuses from management include
"We have over the quota of firedoors, we pass our Health and Safety inspections, what does it matter if one or two are blocked?"
"
"It's one of those things that happen."

"I'll see to it right away."

What to do next? Head Office? Local Health and Safety? Mobilise friends to complain too?

Never, ever, ever, let someone away with the story that they have more than enough doors, or it is only blocked for a few minutes, etc . . .

It may seem like grumpy-old-man-ism to be giving out about it, but it is vital to remember that if there ever is a fire there won't be time to work out whether this door is working or that door is blocked. The lights will be out, there will be smoke in the air and there will be many people shouting loudly. In this circumstance you make for the nearest door and you open it. There cannot be any question about its availabilty.

In the light of day with muzak floating around, the tills ringing, happy people everywhere it may not seem important to the manager but it is vital that they are available at the one time in their entire life cycle that they are urgently needed.

If it is marked as a fire escape it must be clear of obstacles and it must not be locked (among other requirements).

I had an experience once in a previous workplace when trying to evacuate and someone had blocked the door from the outside. It was in a shopping centre and people had taken to leaving their empty trollies outside the escape door. This stopped the door from opening. It was not a pleasant experience.

z

Try finding the name of the H&S person at Head Office, and send off a couple of mobile phone photos showing the obstruction.

Back