Fionn Laoi - New Development Ballincollig Co. Cork

TLC

Does anyone have any views on this development by McInerney Homes?

didn't see your post until now! am very interested in the development myself, just a bit concerned about the location. i know they are building/back filling the site by two metres. just wondering if that will be enough should the river flood. also a bit worried about noise factor with the semi's as they are timber frame! I have a post up as well so keep an eye on it. will keep you posted!

have you found out any more about the flooding in this area where Fionn Laoi is going?? Do you think it could be a bad spot???

have weighed up the pros and cons.... checked flood maps on opw site and am fairly happy the flooding is where the pitches are going in. mcinerney's seem to be taking extra precautions by raising the site. excellent spec on the houses and very roomy as opposed to your normal semi so I am going to go for it I'd say. will think about it another bit before I commit. If you go in by the back of the 'powdermills' and take the second right and drive down to the end you can get a good look at the site from site level. at the back of the brochure it shows the run of the river and it loops off at the corner of the site. sure time will tell I suppose!

Does anyone else have any more views on this estate?
Apparently the area around it is quite rough?
What about the estate leading into this development, is that ok?
When are they expected to be ready?

manor hill is the estate leading into it and it is a lovely estate. to the right is the daffodil fields which is also a very good estate. I'm not sure where all this vibe about it being a bad neighbourhood is coming from.... as regards completion the first houses are expected to be completed the end of september/early october. don't know about the schedule for the rest of the development. there are only 60 odd residential units in the first phase and planning is still ongoing with the second phase.

Has anyone checked out house insurance in the estate as the development is being built on a flood plain ? Two metres of filling should be plenty but you never know .....

In regard to the noise in the semi detached houses, the contractor will have to be monitored in relation to insulation levels in the timber framing between both houses. Puncturing of moisture and vapour barriers will have to be avoided at all costs.

Does anyone else have any more views on this estate?
Apparently the area around it is quite rough?
What about the estate leading into this development, is that ok?
When are they expected to be ready?

I've lived in the attached estate for 15 years it's very quiet. Couldn't ask for nicer neighbours and the kids in the locality are generally a very well behaved lot. The biggest problem we have had is gangs coming from other areas of the town to go on drinking binges in the field that is now being built on!

thanks villa 1 for the advice re the insurance and the puncture of moisture/vapour bariers with the timber frame, will check it out. well I've decided to go for it so here goes.

Ciadan I definitely agree with you about the area, the only problem may be that the pitches when they are finished may attract the same gangs but they will be more easily accessible to be moved on!

nothing ventured, nothing gained - I will hopefully be very happy living there!!!

Best of luck to you with your purchase - they certainly are a lovly looking house and a great size.

Ciadan I definitely agree with you about the area, the only problem may be that the pitches when they are finished may attract the same gangs but they will be more easily accessible to be moved on!

Hopefully the pitches will be locked at night so they won't have access to them. And as for that 'gang' using them during the day... not a chance! I've never seen any of them near the GAA / soccer / basketball pitches/courts. Of course, they're the very ones who'll say "there's nothing for us to do"!!!

nothing ventured, nothing gained - I will hopefully be very happy living there!!!

I hope you'll be as happy as we are. We considered moving a number of years back, but after looking around, we stayed put and extended instead. Felt there was no point moving into another estate when we are so lucky with the neighbours we have here. It's lovely and quiet too.

Hello, we had a deposit on a house there but pulled out for the simple reason that we found out that a good proportion of the houses were being sold as affordable housing & to private developers for renting.

The way things are at the moment, I would advise anyone buying to try & get extras out of the developers - or a price reduction.

Best of luck

Riverscourt is the area where affordable houses are. Riversedge and kingfishers close is private. Every new development has to be mixed nowadays so wherever you go this is gonna be the case.

You're right red army.
All new housing estates these days have to allocate approx, 10% of their housing stock to social/affordable housing. It's the luck of the draw as to what you're neighbours are going to turn out. From past experience the troublesome neighbours are normally renting in the area. In regards to private developers buying houses for renting at the moment they must have a few screws loose as this is certainly not the time for investing in rented property!! I also believe that McInerneys will be very slow to drop their prices. Does anyone have info to the contrary re: price drop

Riverscourt is the area where affordable houses are. Riversedge and kingfishers close is private. Every new development has to be mixed nowadays so wherever you go this is gonna be the case.

Not all developments are mixed as the developer can buy their way out or allocate houses elsewhere

Any developer these days is desperate to shift units so if the local authority wants to buy up units for affordable/social housing they will be delighted to sell.