Finglas

Thanks everyone. A friend of mine bought in a house in Lanesboro and is going to take me for a drive around the different areas. She really likes it there and I have noticed that their are apts in my price bracket available. I saw a few nice houses advertised on Mellowes road so I might try and view them and will look at the apts in Finglas East too.
I guess I really have to rethink what I am looking for. Obviously a nice house in a nice area within the M50 is unlikely for under 320k! I will really have to start looking at apartments instead. I will need to rent out a room for the first year so I was looking for someplace that I could have lots of space and not have to worry about living in a cramped spce with a stranger.
I'm from Meath originally and have plenty of friends and family there still. So the option of buying a 3 bed rm house in Navan is still there but I don't think I could bear the commute.

also -Pinkybear thanks for all the advice- have pretty much ruled the ranch out - I agree that it is one of the nicer areas I have spoken about but the house I saw really was very tiny and had a bathroom off the kitchen and 1 of the bedrooms was so small that it had a little bed especially crafted and put inbetween both walls in the rom - very strange! I think it would be a lovely place for a couple maybe but not if you wanted to rent out a room etc.

just remember its a buyers market be tough and go in well under the asking price, its easy up your offer very hard lower it

I bought in Finglas South 7 years ago - under the Shared Ownership Scheme - Finglas South was all I could afford and I just wanted a step onto the property market. I was terrified living there - after hearing all the stories about it. I live quite close to Tolka Valley and St. Helenas Road.

7 years later - I am able to afford to move out - but I wouldn't dream of it. I am so central to everything - it's unreal. And the good thing about it is - the neighbours all look out for each other.

Hey there

I know this thread is a bit old now - maybe you're after buying at this stage.

I was interested that you were going to look around Lanesborough as we live there...and are currently selling our apartment to move close to my family and to buy a family home. For your budget you could well afford a 2 bed apartment in the Lanesborough area. We've lived here for over three years now and i can honestly say that we have no hassle whatsoever and it's great being near town and also serviced by the 83 and 40B bus routes to town. It's only 10 minutes to the airport and a few minutes to the M50. They are also building a new shopping centre on St Margarets Road, there'll be a large Dunnes Stores and supposedly 17 other retail units.

You'd love our apartment!! Everyone thinks it's so spacious and it is compared to many we viewed before buying here. Seriously though as they've said in other posts above it is a buyers market out there at the moment. 2 bed apartments in this area were on sale for on average 310-315K last year but are now more in the 299-305k range, all have decided to drop the asking price including our own. The plus for me in living here in this apartment block (duplex apartment block) compared to others in apartment blocks is that I have my own front door, back access through patio door off bedroom and private landscaped gardens and parking spaces to rear. I think most apartments blocks in Lanesborough are like that.

Anyway, good luck with the search, you've certainly plenty of choice in this area anyway.