Fines for late payment of tolls

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry but there are lots of signs on both sides of the road explicitly stating that you have until 8pm the following day to pay. You would have to be virtually blind not to see them.
You don't read the papers or listen to the news or radio, however you do spend time on the internet, do you ever visit news sites? Did you think of visiting any of the sites that provide payment options for using the M50?
Did you know that you would have to pay a toll when you got onto the M1? If you had no cash or credit cards on you to pay there would you have stated I didn't know? I didn't see the signs?
Presumably in relation to your question regarding fines by private companies would it not be similar to private companies clamping cars in private estates?

"Since this is my first time ever to cross that toll and would be my first time before a judge for this type of thing and since I did try to pay the toll then I would suspect a judge would have real reservations about fining or jailing me. Anyway if e/flow lost they would have lots of other people doing the same thing everyday. I'm just going to pay my €5.10 and see how far it goes."
If you drive you take responsibility for everything related to driving. If you were on a road that you never drove on before and the speed limit was 60 Km/Hr and you drove at 80 Km/Hr and got caught would you dispute it. You should pay the fine and then dispute it if you still feel you need to. And just so you know a toll road is a road where you have to pay some form of fee for use. You had the responsibility to ensure you knew when and where you had to pay this.

Thank you Samanthajane (what a nice name).

I have no intention of signing up for easypass and there is no way I will pay this €3 charge let alone the €41.50. I called the number given and spoke to a woman about the whole issue and she was very understanding (and all that) but insisted that I had to pay the €3, I was all nice and sweetness back to her and told her that I would not pay the €3 because I did not know about methods of payment or deadlines or any such thing.
I thought they would send me a letter and then I'd pay it.

I suppose some (small minded) people would say I'm being petty about €3 but to me it is the principle of the thing.

Samanthajane wrote the fines were written off by an operator on the phone, this gives me great hope because they are not happy to chase people for this type of thing. Not for 1 vehicle crossing the toll for the very first time and not paying on time.

If they have to write to everyone for the basic fine that would defeat the purpose as it would be too costly.

The Roads Act 2007 amends the 1993 Roads Act to include definitions of tolls and payment methods, it provides for increased payments (fines) that can be set out in bye-laws etc.

Search here [broken link removed]

I don't visit news sites, didn't see the signs and am a very slow reader. I had plenty of cash on me thank you. I think regarding the clamping of vehicles in private estates well they usually have very obvious signs that you can see as you walk by. On the motorway you can't stop to read.

I do take responsibility for everything I do.

The Roads Act 2007 amends the 1993 Roads Act to include definitions of tolls and payment methods, it provides for increased payments (fines) that can be set out in bye-laws etc.

Search here [broken link removed]

Thank you dereko1969 I did try to look through the website before but came up with nothing. I'm not computer literate.

Yes the company that operates the toll has the backing of law to issue late payment notices and if these are ignored they have the right to summonsed the defaulter to court. Off the top of my head I don't know the name of these but I remember them being in the form of Statutory Instruments.

If you call the company they will be be able to quote you them.

Now I respectfully say that you yourself seem unable to grasp or accept despite everything said here that you are at fault completely and not knowing or being oblivious to the toll and its payment is not an excuse of any kind.

There is really nothing more I or anybody else can say to you.

I did not ignore any letters

Status
Not open for further replies.