Finding 'real' information on resorts.

ragazza

Hi,

I remember reading a while ago, that Travel Agents have access to a guide which gives very comprehensive, honest, good and bad information on resorts and destinations (as opposed to the descriptions used in brochures which are generally only positive).

Last year the weblink to this guide was published in the ST, but I cant remember the link or the name of the guide.

Has anyone else heard of this guide, and do you know a weblink to it?

Thanks!

I use traveladvisor.com..... it has reviews from the general public, gives you a good idea of the area ,accomodation ,food etc....

Don't forget to keep these sites going by contributing your own findings after your holiday.

There used to be some trade 'gazetteer' a long time ago, before the web arrived and changed everything. I remember we got a copy of it and it opened our eyes as to what was disclosed and not disclosed in the brochures. The gazetteer gave a short and concise summary of resorts (can't remember if it did particular hotels) indicating whether they were noisy at night, etc . . . the type of stuff the agents wouldn't put in the brochures. It makes sense when you think that travel agents will be asked to recommend destinations and they can only have been to a tiny fraction of the locations. The gazetteer at least gave them something else to rattle on about with at least a little authority.

z

Hi all,

thanks for the links! Yes, I agree, tripadvisor is great.

It was actually the trade gazetteer that Zag mentioned, that I was looking for. It´s true that it was very popular in the days before the internet, so all the same info is probably to be found on the web now.

Thanks.

Another vote for tripadvisor. It has been very accurate for me so far and I've used it a lot.

The trade gazette you are looking for is Travel Extra which is distributed mainly to Travel Agents throughout Ireland and is printed by the Meath Chronicle I believe. To find out where you can get a copy call 018454485.
Otherwise tripadvisor is usually spot on!

Back