find country village close to cork city (< 10 miles) with good public service

rustyjack

Hello,

maybe this is an impossible ask but are there any small villages close to cork city (<10 miles approx) with good public services (regular bus route or train route, schools, shops etc) which also have footpaths to the houses so that walkers are not blown off the roads by cars.
BTW, i currently live in the ballygarvan area where there is no bus route and where there is a lack of footpaths meaning i have to drive everywhere.
I like the idea of a small village community so bigger towns such as blarney, glanmire are not top priority. I checked Glaounthane but most of the houses seem to be away from train station and up a country road with no footpaths meaning lots of car journeys to the train station.

Regards,

Rusty

If you want the train, then you are stuck on the Cobh line or perhaps Carrigtwohill, where the new station is almost complete. There are no trains to Blarney or Glanmire.

Innishannon is well covered by bus service because it gets the Bantry service as well as the Clonakilty one.

what about belgooly?

local primary school, catholic church, community centre, sports pitches, shop/petrol station, two pubs, lovely protected estuary/riverside walk for around two miles - there are currently houses for sale in and around the village.

Ballinhassig would be on the same bus route as Innishannon, and closer to the city. You also have the choice of hitting city via either the Airport hill and the back roads around it, or the Bandon road and the back roads off that.

thanks for all the replies. I was wondering is it possible for blarney residents to access blarney castle grounds for walks for free?

Probably not but just asking..

Rusty

I worked there during summers years ago and they used to let locals in then. Well worth asking.

I know its a bit further than you'd like, but Coachford is a nice village with a good bus service. Also, there is a small development planned for Kilmurry which would be ideal if it goes ahead.

I worked there during summers years ago and they used to let locals in then. Well worth asking.

I know its a bit further than you'd like, but Coachford is a nice village with a good bus service. Also, there is a small development planned for Kilmurry which would be ideal if it goes ahead.

thanks very much. I will ask them.
i know coachford and it is a nice village alright. my father nearly bought a house in kilmurry before. i will check them out.

thanks again

rusty

Back