Financier Tony Taylor is set to join AIB board

MugsGame

Frequent Poser
Unbelievable! Who in their right minds would allow this?
Last night, Mr Taylor was pondering whether or not to accept the appointment. He said that he was in the process of rehabilitation and restoring his reputation. He believed that "too close an association with AIB might only serve to damage me".

I suggest anyone as outraged as me by this proposal should write to AIB, and Shane Ross in the Independent, to express your concerns.

What next -- Eddie Hobbs running for the PDs?

Smiley in my post mean anything to you? Could you not have let this run and see if anyone actually bought it?

No harm to see Taylor the butt of humour given his record. He stole money,fled, faced multiple charges of forgery and fraud and pleaded guilty, but he maintains he did nothing wrong! He even stole from Vincent de Paul

Taylor sees himself as a victim. AIB may have aided tens of thousands of customers to evade tax but it did not abscond with client deposits. Shane Ross'es piece was very witty linking both together and had to be uncomfortable reading for AIB but the bank never faced prosecution by the DPP for fraud, for forgery and for running an operation for the purposes of committing fraud. I'll happily slag off the banks for profiteering etc but there is a distinction. Very funny though from the Senator

Says something about my world-weary cynicism that the story seemed perfectly feasible to me. Honest, it wouldn't have surprised me

Ok Clubman, you are right but I was very aware of the overcharging and "mistakes" level. I suppose morally these are in the same league but Taylor was gutter, theft of client deposits including a charity takes the biscuit. Even as I write I find defending AIB reprehensive. I think I'll stop before I throw up.