Financial Ombudsman- how long to get decision?

ask73

I wrote to financial ombudsman last october and there is no decision yet. What can i do?

Travel insurance claim submitted to Financial Services Ombudsman 17/08/2012 resolved 23/08/2012 and full and final settlement cheque received 03/09/2012. All I can say is that I waited until I could submit a full, detailed and complete file.

HI Sumatra

Could you give more detail?

Presumably the company settled with you directly? The FSO can't really consider the submissions and make a decision in 6 days.

Brendan

Presumably the company settled with you directly? The FSO can't really consider the submissions and make a decision in 6 days.

More important and interesting is that a Financial provider realised there were wrongs done and used their own initiative to settle an issue.

Hello Brendan & Mercman,

Having this particular travel claim rejected was quite shocking to the conscience. Having submitted a claim on 08/07/2012, I was shocked to have it rejected. The insurers advised me to follow their complaints procedure which I did and nothing came of it, the claim was still rejected.

I referred the case to the Ombudsman 17th Aug. A file was created by them and they gave me the name of a claims manager and the address of the insurer to write to for a final response. They sent my file to this claims manager. This is interesting because the person / address I was advised to write to was not the same as in the complaints procedure outlined in either the policy documentation or when when the claim was rejected.

It appears the person I was advised to contact was a member of senior management nominated to review disputes before a final response letter is issued. I wrote to the person, outlined my complaint and made reference to the complete file passed on to the person by the FSO.

Five days later my claim was paid. I can say with all sincerity that good as my case was and the detail and records I had, I really would not have got anywhere without the assistance afforded by the case offficer in the Financial Services Ombudsman.

Hi Sumatra

Very interesting.

That is exactly how the system should work.

A senior person in the organisation overrules the lower person and settles the claim promptly.

Well done.

Brendan

Hi all,

I wrote to the FSO in August 2012 with a mortgage/tracker related problem. I am still waiting on a response. I did send up a lever arch file full of background info, and one ring binder full of every letter, email, record of phone call to and from the bank.
They advised at the time that a response would issue in 6-8 weeks, which bring me to this week or next!

Fingers crossed!!

Hi all
I'm still waiting on a response from the FSO. Would anyone have a breakdown of the exact process and approx timelines?
Thank you

Newbie, have you contacted them in the last few days ??

Back