Financial advice for a tenant renting an unfurnished property

PoundMan

I am about to rent an unfurnished property. I was surprised to even have to buy my own white goods appliances such as a fridge and cooker. It's a very small old cottage, not the type of place I would ever want to buy but it's fine for renting for a year or two. I can afford a deposit but it is my preference to rent in the shorter term to see if I settle in the area before committing to buying. I'm thinking it is probably wise to just buy the cheapest stuff possible when furnishing the house as some of it may not be suitable for me to bring with me to any future larger property? I'm also thinking I just keep receipts of everything as proof that it actually belongs to me instead of the landlord? Should I also be taking before and after photos? It's quite frustrating as the house needs a lot of work to leave it looking nice and to mely mind it should really be the responsibility of the landlord doing a lot of that work. But I don't want to rock the boat with the landlord and potentially lose the place as I'm desperate for my own space after living with in-laws for nearly 4 years.

Surprised you can find unfurnished to be honest.

Having said that - all white goods are a standard size, so they'll fit any kitchen / utility where there is space left for them, so I'd buy as best as you can afford. Yes keep receipts - photocopy them in case they degrade.

Everything else you can get from facebook market place cheap as chips.

Get a second hand wooden bedframe & new mattress / topper from ikea.

Scour the charity shops for pots / pans / glasses / crockery.

On the cooker front - ikea do a plug in induction hob for about €50. Start with that & then see if you want to get an airfryer.

Is there not a legal requirement to provide access to laundry facilities, fridge etc?
Hence my surprise at OP being offered unfurnished.

Having said that, if both parties are happy with the arrangement; then I'd leave sleeping dogs lie.

Hence my surprise at OP being offered unfurnished.

Having said that, if both parties are happy with the arrangement; then I'd leave sleeping dogs lie.
Yes it's a tricky one and not ideal. It probably won't be a registered tenancy either unfortunately but I can't afford to be fussy any more at this stage. I already lost a previous tenancy over enquiring about a rent book when being asked to pay cash so unfortunately trying to do everything strictly above board has been detrimental at times.

IMHO stay away from BEKO electrical stuff. I know some people can be lucky with the odd item but have heard so many friends complain so strongly about it lasting no time.
100% correct, you'll get 2 to 3 years out of them, same for hotpoint.(I'm sure there are exceptions....I've never encountered them though).

The quality was so bad with both that I replaced and continue to replace with Bosch (either new or secondhand). Beko and Hotpoint are classic false economies.

Last edited:
Back