Filling tyres with CO2 instead of air

Ancutza

Anyone ever heard of this? My local tyre-fitter (a friend of mine) says that it reduces cabin noise, increases tyre life and gives a marginally better fuel consumption.

He's installed the tanks and compressor and is trying to convince me to give it a go.

Thoughts?

Am a seasoned watcher of Mythbusters, and am familiar with the properties of CO2 v Air. I can see no reason among its physical or chemical properties why it should show any benefit, and would like to see it properly tested. I think that it is a myth.

Heard this one before a few times typically about using N2 as opposed to CO2. There is loads of contrasting info to be honest on the use of CO2.

Most of the benefits for N2 is that its an inert gas and won't cause oxidation of the tire like air can cause therefore supposedely less tire wear. Likewise it is not as responsive to temperature fluctuations like air can be - this is particularity evident in car racing tires and aeroplane tires and is very often used in these - tried and tested.

On a more geeky note if i remember correctly from chemistry Nitrogen molecules are a little bigger that air therefore less leakage through the tire walls etc.

On even geekier note there is evidence of a nasty by product called carbonic acid that can form inside the tire as it reacts with water vapour - this has the undesired effect of wear and tear so it maybe a catch 22!

I'd give N2 a run but would be sceptical of the CO2 - ask him to produce the evidence not just word of mouth/urban myth!