Filling Gaps between Wall and Timber Joists

MrD

Hi all,

To stop mice from gaining access to the area underneath the floorboards upstairs, I was going to fill the gaps between where the timber joists meet the wall. While they are not there at present, there is plenty of evidence that they were there at some stage.

Firstly, is it ok to fill these gaps? Secondly, if it is ok, what would be the best material to use?

Thanks in advance,

MrD.

you can buy expandable foam in the hardware with a long nozzle for awkward spaces,this stuff is really good and expands from a sticky goo to a rock hard foam in no time .fill any holes you can find larger than a pencils circumference to keep mice out.

Cheers funlovin, thanks for the suggestion.

Also wondering if these gaps were left there for a reason, i.e. ventilation etc?

My OH discovered this when we moved into our house - he now goes around spraying it everywhere - going to buy him a tube of 'no more nails' for Christmas - blow his mind altogether

to be honest it will be a waste of time - as someone else said you will have to fill every joint/gap > size of a pencil top to exclude mice - invest in some good traps instead.