Filling Crack in External Wall of House

Niallymac

There is a crack on the rear wall of my house, running ground to roof. When I bough the house, the surveyor said the crack was caused by subsidence in the distant past, probably in the early years after it was built, and I was told to monitor it.It hasn't changed moved at all in 4 years, so i tend to concur that it is very old subsidence that has long since stopped.

It is a north facing wall, and makes the rear of the house a little colder than it might be, a bit draughty. I now want to fill the crack to prevent moisture ingress etc.

What is the best way to fill this crack ?

If it is only a few mm wide than you have to use an angle grinder to widen it V-shaped. To fill in a bit of concrete you need a gap of at least/about 2 cm.

Wet the wall, spray in expanding foam, allow to dry, cut back foam to level and plaster over with floor tile adhesive.
This allows for movement.

Niallymac said:
I was told to monitor it.It hasn't changed moved at all in 4 years, so i tend to concur that it is very old subsidence that has long since stopped.
My late father (a brickie) once told me that to monitor cracks like this in walls for further subsidence or movement they used to insert pieces of glass to fit tightly into the crack and if they broke/ground down then the problem was still there.

Back