filling a hole in a wall

lemrac

I need to fill in a hole in an internal wall where the old extractor tube went. It's circular and about four inches in diameter and four inches deep. The wall will be on view so I'd like to make a neat job of it. Have no DIY knowledge so any help would be great!

thank you

L

First clean any chipped or torn drywall out of the hole.
Get a piece of corrugated cardboard just slightly larger than the diameter of the hole. Punch a hole in the middle. Get a piece of cord or string and tie a knot in one end, then thread it through the hole...bend the piece of card in half, folding away from the side with the knot in the string and slide it into the hole....then pull on the piece of string.
You then get fillers; premixed or powder, whatever you like (powder is cheaper and better quality IMO)...and use a filling knife to fill round the edge of the hole toward the centre keeping tension on the string the whole time.
Do not overfill.
Allow the fillers to dry fully and then cut the string and smooth second fill the remaining dip....sand smooth and touch up.

Added tip; if the wall in question is finished in softsheen or simlilar vinyl paint, then it's a good idea to touch the filler spot up with matt first, and then the top coator the finish will "flash". The colour of the matt emulsion doesn't matter.

Purchase readers dijest DIY book in easons for around €30, that will explain everything. I bought it last year and tiled my bathroom from ceiling to floor and I never done any tiling before.

just want to say I followed tosullivan's advice and it worked like a charm!

thanks

L

Fair play to ya tosullivan, best advice in ages, I had two holes in plasterboard and didn't know who to turn to.
Maith an fear!

Good advice alright but I have my own method which works quite well also I believe. For holes in stud partitions: pack the void with stout paper (cement sacks are ideal), roughen the edge of the plasterboard to give a key, prime with some watered down PVA and fill the void with gypsum bonding, leaving the surface slightly shallow. Bonding is great for these repairs and leaves a great substrate for "skimming". When dry finish off with gypsum skimcoat, sanding and painting to finish. This method works well most smaller holes up to 6" across. For bigger holes I would place a piece of plasterboard into the void, keeping it in place with some dry wall screws, then continue as above.

Back