Fill The Fuel Tank Tonight!

Lex Foutish

With the expected carbon tax in tomorrow's budget, it might be a good idea to fill the tank tonight, or early on Wednesday, rather than sitting in long queues from around 4pm tomorrow.

It's averaging about €1.159 in the capital today. Probably a similar price in Dublin and throughout the rest of the country.

Galway, Loughrea, Portumna, Nenagh yesterday and Thurles, Cashel, Kilkenny today, €1.159 petrol, €1.059 diesel - much of a muchness really.

and while you are at it don't forget to buy extra coal and briquettes!

Just before people do their christmas drink run up north.

Filling a tank will add extra weight to your car that will decrease the efficiency (mpg)!

A carbon tax is a new tax so will have to pass a vote.

It won't be in tomorrow.

Hold off on the booze till tomorrow though, we're in for a winter of content on that front if RTE.ie is to be believed

Glad to see that the pint is finally taking it's place as a staple item of necessity in the government's eyes, rather than as an extra. That will give great comfort to the disabled facing income cuts and the elderly facing fuel increases.

We rang yesterday to order a fill and were told that the ships in the docks were on lock down i.e no oil being released until after the budget!

There appears to be a run on petrol - my local petrol station ran out of fuel last night and the next nearest one was nearly out of petrol when I filled up.

There appears to be a run on petrol - my local petrol station ran out of fuel last night and the next nearest one was nearly out of petrol when I filled up.

This never ceases to amaze me.

Say they put 5c on a litre of petrol or diesel.
The average tank would be 60 litres?
Say the average tank of people queueing for petrol is a quarter full.

So you have people going out in the rain and cold to fill up before a budget to save €2. (Not taking into account the fuel used to get there assuming one would normally fill up on the way somewhere)

I know times are hard, but really!