FIFA Women’s World Cup

Marion

Great game this evening, France V USA. USA always had it in the bag.

Personally, I will back the USA team for a win! Must check PaddyPower:)

(Don’t know a whole pile about the game but was present for the final in 2015, Vancouver, had a great seat and backed the winning team despite an overwhelming Canadian preference for Japan!)

Marion

Last edited:
I watched some of that match and was very disappointed with the standard of football and the falling-down-writhing-in-a-heap-if-the-wind-changes as the key tactic. Based on what I saw, some of them should have seen red. Passing the ball with any consistent degree of accuracy seemed beyond both teams on a billiard-table surface of what looked like astro-turf.

By stark contrast I saw Manchester City play Liverpool in a mid-80s English Division 1 match on a BT Sport Channel. The pitch was awful, more mud & sand than grass, the tackles were robust, putting it mildly but the skill on display was exceptional. Ignore the 0-5 drubbing City suffered on the day, it was brilliant stuff.

According to Paddy Power England are at 3/1 against the USA in the semis. USA are at 5/6 in the same game while 12/5 the draw. I think I'll throw a few bob on England to win.

The USA women's team is far more successful than their male counterparts and generates more in advertising yet gets paid only one third as much. Even if that disparity is partially explained by gate receipts and tournament fees if they are serious about getting more women playing and watching sport then it is very strange that such a pay gap exists.

The USA women's team is far more successful than their male counterparts and generates more in advertising yet gets paid only one third as much. Even if that disparity is partially explained by gate receipts and tournament fees if they are serious about getting more women playing and watching sport then it is very strange that such a pay gap exists.

It's not strange, the bonus pot for the men's tournament is $400 million, for the women's it is $30 million. This reflects the global advertising and gates at the tournament and commercial tie ins.

But even if the international pots were equal, it's secondary - for the male players, the earnings from international soccer is just a bonus on top of their club earnings.

So I don't think that matters really so much as the pay gap between professional soccer for a female player versus other sports, or other jobs.
There's a massive pay gap relatively between what male soccer players earned in the 1980s to the 1990s and to today.
Either the money is good enough to go into professional sports or it isn't. And for that you need a league.

I watched some of that match and was very disappointed with the standard of football and the falling-down-writhing-in-a-heap-if-the-wind-changes as the key tactic. Based on what I saw, some of them should have seen red. Passing the ball with any consistent degree of accuracy seemed beyond both teams on a billiard-table surface of what looked like astro-turf.
Agreed. I heard panellists saying before the tournament that this world cup would show the world that the standard of football in the women's game was really high. Well I just don't see that. The standard is very disappointing. Passing is poor, control is poor, shooting is really poor.

Agreed. I heard panellists saying before the tournament that this world cup would show the world that the standard of football in the women's game was really high. Well I just don't see that. The standard is very disappointing. Passing is poor, control is poor, shooting is really poor.
Are they as bad as our men's team?:eek:

I caught the last 30 mins, including the 7 minutes extra time, of tonight's game. My previous thoughts were confirmed, and my belief is that what I saw was worse than any performance by our men's team. Passes sprayed all over the show aimlessly, a poor penalty following a 5 minute conflab with VAR and humans. My own view is that the English player made contact with her opponent's knee as she was about to kick - no penalty. The easy save from a poorly taken penalty was a just outcome.

Two foul throws from the touchline while I was watching says it all. For one of them it appeared the thrower knocked the ball from her hand with her hair-do. RTE claims they're showing the highlights tomorrow at 5:00 p.m. That'll be a short programme.

I've only watched a few games but none were as bad as the depressing, boring aimless drivel served up by our men's team.

Well I thoroughly enjoyed that semi.

Header goals, a penalty, a saved penalty, a red card, a goal disallowed! Great excitement!

Well done to both teams!

Marion

Must say I enjoyed the game as well , the English goal was a thing of beauty- a sublime cross and a brilliant finish.
The American winner was a cracking finish as well , great to see a massive crowd and huge tv figures for the women’s game which is constantly improving.

I have to admit both semi finals were pretty good (even if the BBC commentary would have you believe last nights' game was a bore!). The winning goal last night was a real cracker and the standard of goalkeeping was impressive.
And I would have to agree with Purple, the men's game is nothing to get excited about either.
Overall I think the standard in the world cup has been poor but the final 4 teams are decent enough.

It's a pity the coaching isn't at the same development stage as their players, or rather that game can't evolve tactically in isolation ... we might see WM formation make a return and some 5-4 games :(

According to Paddy Power England are at 3/1 against the USA in the semis. USA are at 5/6 in the same game while 12/5 the draw. I think I'll throw a few bob on England to win.
So that's why Paddy power shares jumped 22% :)

Fabulous women’s World Cup final.

A penalty and super goal for the winning team. Well done USA! Great champions! I particularly liked their guard of honour.

Marion

A good game but rather one sided particularly in the second half after the opening goal .
The Dutch were game but it was increasingly obvious that they were out on their feet pretty early in the second half.
A great second goal and a wonderful display of goalkeeping by the Dutch keeper.
Really enjoyed the competition

Back