Fifa play hardball with Nigeria

orka

Genuine request for information as I don't understand this. From today's Irish Times:

"Fifa play hardball with Nigeria

World Cup: Fifa has threatened to suspend Nigeria if the government of the country does not reverse a decision to withdraw the national soccer team from international competition for the next two years.

Nigeria President Goodluck Jonathan on Wednesday disbanded the Super Eagles for the next two years following their poor performance in the World Cup when they were knocked out in the first round after failing to win a match.
"If the government of Nigeria does not move back we will have to suspend Nigeria and the decision will be taken in the next 48 hours," Fifa general secretary Jerome Valcke said this morning."

So, if Nigeria don't stop their self-imposed suspension, Fifa will suspend them?

Genuine request for information as I don't understand this. From today's Irish Times: .. So, if Nigeria don't stop their self-imposed suspension, Fifa will suspend them?

FIFA is like the International Olympic Committee - an alternative reality.

They think their powers transcend those of national Governments.

They have to be seen to do something in response to an intrusion - a Government making an intervention that affects international football -onto their patch. The FIFA suspension is all they can do. That, and deny Nigeria the privilege of bankrupting their country to hold a FIFA tournament .

I dont agree with FIFA's stance on this. I agree that there shouldnt be intervention in club football, but International is a different matter. An International team is representing a country. Surely the country should decide whether or not their countries name and reputation can be used by a representative side? If the Nigerian team is not representing Nigeria, then why is it called Nigeria?

The Nigerians could very easily knock Blatter & Co off their pedestal of pomposity and self-importance.

The [broken link removed] notifies FIFA that they are resigning from FIFA, thereby disqualifying themselves from any FIFA-endorsed competitions and removing them from Blatter's sphere of influence, but allowing NFF to continue to run their domestic competitions.

At the end of two years or whatever term the NFF deems appropriate, they reapply to FIFA for accreditation.

Is FIFA's response not just the sporting equivalent of "You can't fire me, I quit"?