Field Grass in back garden.

micamaca

Hi there,

I have a problem with grass, it seems to be growing very irregularly and instead of nice soft lawn grass it appears more like a patchy uneven lawn with these very long stalks of weed grass sprouting out of it... I prefer to use the push mower as the electric one scares me...the cord keeps going places it shouldn't. But the push mower can't or won't cut these long stalks, they bend under the roller I think so they don't get cut.

How do I tackle this and please bear in mind I have a much loved cat! So any solutions have to be very pet friendly.

These long stalks have only sprouted up since we moved in!
Any advice much appreciated.

mica

Hi,

I had the same problem when I moved into my house, and also use a push-mower. I cut the grass as normal with the mower and then use a shears to go over the longer stalks that it couldn't cut. You can use 'feed and weed' on the lawn and the appropriate time of the year (think it is September) to improve the quality.

R

I gotta tell yah, the idea of walking around the lawn with a shears breaks my heart! but thanks anyway!

I will try the feed and weed later this year...have to do something. But must confess am quite lazy when it comes to the garden which is a shame as we were lucky to get a good-sized garden with the house but must get up off my rear!

am looking at grass now, its just horrendous!

I believe you can apply feed and weed throughout the growing season, one manufacturer I checked states March to September. The packaging of these products should contain these details.

Have some of this in my own lawn, trick is to keep it short, so mow regularly and you should be able to avoid the back-breaking shears work.
Leo

I suppose you mean by regularly more than twice a month! Am so bad at this! I guess twice a week would be more like it! I think I'll haul the heavy electric mower out this time and then use the push one from here on in twice a week...doesn't help that everytime I motivate myself to do it, it starts raining! excuses....

thanks for the tips though. will get to work.