Ferry Travel

Tubbs

I have booked a trip for my family over to Wales around Christmas time travelling by ferry from Dublin (with car).

I am starting to get a bit concerned (due to the excitment within the family) that the weather may prevent us from crossing. Being a pessimist !

I am not asking for weather predictions for Dec !

- but how bad does the weather have to be before a ferry crossing is cancelled (going on the fast crossing) ?

- and what happens when your crossing is cancelled ? - are you put on the next days sailing ?

Thanks

Did you book with Stena or with Irish Ferries. In my own experience you have a much better chance of actually sailing if you have booked with Stena, though in fairness to Irish Ferries if their services are disrupted due to weather they will do their level best to have you accommodated on a Stena sailing including arranging free inter-ferryport transfers if required.

In my paranoia I did book with Stena (even though it was slightly more expensive) - as I thought it was likely that Irish Ferries would be on strike around Christmas time due to all the recent disputes!

(bit sad when you have to think like that really)

I had always thought that irrespective of differences between ferry companies the biggest difference was between the ship types.

The Fast Ferry / Catamarans I think are more sensitive to bad weather than the traditional ships. I think all the Stena Line services are on the fast ferries from Dun Laoghaire ... they do run regular ships but for trucks only I think. Irish Ferries sell both fast and normal ferry tickets to regular punters.

Having said that though I think it has to be pretty bad anyway to cancel either .. and if it's bad enough to cancel the fast ferries than you may want to pack the sick bags if you're on the regular ships !

Also if booked on Irish Ferries I'd say you'd be very correct that strikes would be a more likely source of trouble than the weather !

The fast ferries are often cancelled due to high wind while the conventional ferry will sail. If you're booked with Stena they would normally transfer you to their conventional sailing(depending on space). While this will get you across you have to endue a rough sailing due to the wind. My lot prefer the fast ferry and we usually book Dunlaoghaire - Holyhead rather than Rosslare-Fisguard becase the fast ferry out of Dunlaoghaire is bigger and can endue some wind while the one in Rosslare is pulled in the slightest bit of wind.