Ferry to Cherbourg to buy bathroom stuff

SunnySouth

Hi there,

Anyone ever got the ferry to cherbourg to buy bathroom suites, power showers etc.
I've heard it to be very cheap in comparison to buying in ireland.
If anyone has taken the trip maybe you could share your experience and thoughts.

Thanks.

Last edited:
We bought a large amount of items in France when building our house. Oak flooring, bathroom suites, bricks, doors and so on. We then had them brought over on a large artic truck. Most were bought at www.lapeyre.fr We pre ordered, paid in advance and had them delivered by an independant delivery service. We went on one trip to look at the items in advance. Certainly for us we felt we received very good value and the products we bought have been of good quality. I would make sure your plumber is aware that for toilets, sinks etc the pipe size will be different but after an initial baulk by the plumber he went on to connect without too much difficulty. We did save money, although sometimes we succumbed to the temptation to upgrade rather than buy at the same level so for some things we could have bought for the same price here but it would have been of a lesser quality. For example we could have bought and had flooring laid here ( red deal) for the same price we paid for the oak flooring in France.

Its great to hear that you reckon it was worth your while going to France as we are debating doing the same. The independant delivery service was a good idea - who did you use?

Sorry Silvergirl I have only just got myself organised. We have just hired a 2.3m(high) x 5m trailer (lockable and with ramp/door) for €130 a week and booked the ferry to Roscoff for €500 and are heading off shopping for a week. From looking through the catalogues and websites I reckon that it should be easy enough to save that €630 and have a great choice at the same time

I did it in June 2005. , spent a week there for a holiday as well. We bought some of the stuff in Brico Depot & some in Castorama.

The shower mixer valves were Euro 50.00 and I have seen the same ones retailing here for Euro 300.00
Bathroom sinks Euro 50 incling the taps & pedestal , toilets complete @ Euro 45.00
You need to bear in mind that all of the tap connections there are for higher pressure water than we have here which means you need to put in a pressure pump to fill the cisterns which suited my situation as that is the system we wanted in any case. If you don't put in the pump the water at the kitchen sink will fill very slowly. Just filled the transit van with what we needed.

The electrical stuff there is too expensive & they were doing a sale in attic stairs at the time Euro 49.00

Hi, I have just come back from a very successful trip to France to buy bathroom stuff (having seen the original post here!) We found the whole trip worthwhile. We got the ferry from Cork to Roscoff so ended up with 4 days shopping (we hired a trailer that got very heavy towards the end of our trip and as we had based ourselves in Vannes gave ourselves most of the day to get to Roscoff on the final day-normally a three hour journey) We bought most of our stuff in Castorama (good choice, good quality and similar prices to Leroy Merlin), Leroy Merlin (similar but better staff, very helpful and 5%off with a loyalty card) and Ikea (we needed stuff before the Belfast store opens in Dec). We got all our toilets (off the floor incl brackets, their best for €200), whbs (about €80), taps - kitchen and bathroom, showers, lights and more. It wasn't just the lower prices but the huge choice and quality. I couldn't recommend it highly enough, we had saved the whole cost of our trip in the first days shopping and went on to save that twice again but as I said it was the huge choice that was the icing on the gateau!

Back