Ferry to Cherbourg as a foot passenger?

TrundleAlong

Can I travel as a foot passenger to Cherbourg from Dublin on one of the Ferries? When in Cherbourg is there a train station and bus station that will bring me to a few destinations in the Normandy region.

Just want to explore the region without bringing a car. Thanks

Use the Google Maps travel planner to see if the areas you are interested in are served by public transport.

Thanks. I have discovered that the train station is 20 minutes walk from the Irish Ferries docking area in Cherbourg. Although I read that there are shuttles to bring you to the train station.

The new W.B. Yeats ship will be using this route this summer. It docks at 11 p.m. I assume that best advice would be to spend the first night in Cherbourg.

Our plan would be to move to Bayeux by train, seems straightforward. Then the tricky bit. To move toward Honfleur using public transport.

We were thinking of treating ourselves to one of the de-luxe suite cabins on this ship. Would you consider that a waste of money. c€350 cost each way.

Are you sure the arrival time is 11pm? I have booked the WB Yeats to Cherbourg for later in the year and the arrival time is 11am - it's an overnight sailing.

Thank you gipimann. Absolutely correct as usual. To think that I was going to book a night in a hotel in Cherbourg because I thought that we were arriving at 11.p.m. You have saved me a day in Cherbourg. :)

Even with the cheapest cabin, two people won't do this for less than €300.

Unless you really love ferries it's quicker and often cheaper to fly via Paris to Brest or Rennes.

Unless you really love ferries it's quicker and often cheaper to fly via Paris to Brest or Rennes.
I agree. I have been in Rennes before and it's lovely. Unfortunately Aer Lingus is expensive to fly there and they also use their smaller regional planes which do not appeal to me.
I have also considered Ryanair to Nantes or Tours and train from there.

I would like to avoid Paris and Ryanair's Beauvais has very poor transfer options, if any, northwards. It is all geared to Paris.

Back