ferry prices to uk

tosullivan

Does anyone know would it be cheaper now to book a ferry to the uk for july or wait closer the time?

I'd be inclined to ring them and ask about availability before considering prices. Would have thought that its a busy time of year.

From experience ferry companies have changed the way the organize bookings in recent years. The later you leave it the more expensive it becomes. Even then they are advertising low fares but those prices are difficult to find. I have travelled a lot and can tell you if you are sure you are going at a specific date then book it early. You can check out both ferry companies online and try out different combinations before you book to see which best suits you. I prefer that to ringing because I get all the options.
Also you did not say the route you are travelling, if it is landbridge, with a car, how long and if one way? The best foot passenger deal is sail and rail where as with a car there are sometimes deals to be had but the priceing between the companies is within cents of eachother at all times.
The Irish Sea is expensive and from ROI it is more expensive than NI. Many Americans from the Great Lakes region tell me that they can believe how expensive the route is.
So I suggest book early if you know times now it won't be so much cheaper closer to the date, if anything, from experience, it is likely to be more expensive.

Try the Danube ferry from Calafat (Romania) to Vidin (Bulgaria) a distance of 2km. Costs about €40 for a car one way.

The prices you see now for the summer on Irish Ferries and Stena are the prices you will also pay in the summer.
I'd be more worried about availability at peak times.
There's rarely any difference in prices on the same route and they are fixed well in advance.

Be careful with Cork=Swansea, they are using Ryanair techniques, the price you see is not what you pay, there are extras, like everyone must book a cabin or pullman seat which adds to the price

Be careful with Cork=Swansea, they are using Ryanair techniques, the price you see is not what you pay, there are extras, like everyone must book a cabin or pullman seat which adds to the price
They are all using Ryanair techniques now. Not such a problem if you only use them on and off but on a regular basis it has become a pain as many of the past benefits are being eroded

Try the Danube ferry from Calafat (Romania) to Vidin (Bulgaria) a distance of 2km. Costs about €40 for a car one way.
That is steep but I see you have a bridge in construction. I would suggest those prices are the kick of a dying business, last stop for ripoff city. The major point however is that neither Romania or Bulgaria have the problem of being an island. There are no other ways out of Ireland other than boat or plane. Ryanair alread proved more people will use at better cost, the ferry companies claim to do this but I for one can almost never access their "supposed" low cost fares.

Ive always found it cheaper to fly and hire a car when you get there.
Ferries are not cheap, despite what the advertising blurb says.

Plan is dublin or dun laoighre to holyhead
The convenience of ferries is the ability to throw all your kit in a car and off you go without the airport hassle. Fly drive can be cheaper but depends on how many are travelling.
Dun Laoghaire large fast ferry tends to be more expensive but the speed and experience is great - it may be gone soon so if you want the experience you might want to try it.
Dublin Port - Several options all of which are about the same price.
Shop now on the websites and put it to bed especially if you are travelling with family. Experience has shown you probably won't save by delaying. Late night hours tend to be fractionally cheaper. The drive on the far side is now great with A55 Dual carriageway to motorway system. Check out the websites of the two main operators.

Hi.
I travel Dublin - Holyhead a good few times a year to see family in North Wales (great beaches btw) and we always bookin advance with either Stena or Irish Ferries. The cheaper option for us is normally Stena as you are able to select student and OAP options (these have a small concession) wheras with Irish Ferries it is either adult or child price. They both more or less leave the ports within an hour of each other and they both require you be 'checked-in' at least 30mins before sailing. The summer sailings are pretty busy and also if there happens to be a big premier league match the ferry will be busy (noisy on the way going but quiet on the way back as they are all sleeping!)
Stena has free wi-fi (just get a code from the bursar) whereas with Irish ferries you have to pay,
If it was me booking I would definitely book sooner rather than waiting, also on Stena there is an option to select the cheaper fares month by month, they are usually Tues, Wed, Thur sailings.
Good luck and enjoy your stay
P.S. There is a nice little chippy (chipper) in Holyhead that does a lovely fish n chips lol