fencing

Sarah

At the moment in the back garden there is the cheapest fencing gaoing put in all the gardens by the builders/developers. Its about 6 ft high and looks like packing crate wood with big gaps through each slat. I want to replace that so there is more privecy.Does anyone know where to buy fencing and how easy it is to fit?? Plus the cost of getting it fitted if anyone knows?

Thanks a mill
Sarah

Sarah, depends how handy you or your partner are!! If the original fence posts are in good condition and well-sited, why not just remove the pallet effect, pop along to Woodies and get some decent replacements? If it turns out that the replacement cost is outside your budget - use climbers to mask it and create more privacy.

Im not really into climbers and all the trimming required!! The fence posts we have are not even cemented into the ground so i wouldnt class them of being great quality. The fencing itself looks fine, as in its not weathered or rotting,But its not the nicest looking fence, its just the privacy issue i have, plus with decking being very popular, some of my neighbours can look right into our back garden then with the gaps between each slat, you cant so much as walk out in the garden without all 3 houses, either side and at the back of us, can see quite clearly. Im not wandering round in the buff or anything like it but lately every time im out the back garden and can clearly be seen i cant have a minute to myself as someone is hanging over the fence for a chat! Also is there a planning issue with putting fencing down,as i will obviously have to ask the neighbours permission to take our adjoining fence up to put the new one down? Is replacing fencing an expensive job?

Someone will correct me (I'm sure!! ) if I'm wrong but, I'm fairly certain that ANY wooden structure, shed, trellis, fence etc, is regarded as a temporary one, so you don't need planning.
Can't really comment on the costs involved as it depends on the amount of fencing, quality etc. to determine the price.
If you share the fence with your neighbours and they hate them too, would they go halves with you on a new one? Are they likely to be offended by you wanting more privacy - could raise issues that you hadn't thought of!!
If all else fails get some conifers and 'top them' when they reach a nice height.

You could buy something along the lines of a willow screen, B&Q sell these in approx 6' x 12' for about €70. Just attach these to the existing fence. Example images [broken link removed] & [broken link removed].
Leo

Hi Sarah,

We have just spent the weekend sussing out different types of fencing to put into our back garden. Basically prices for 6' by 6' fencing ranges from €19.99 for the standard lightweight fencing as supplied by many developers, to €100 for the same size product which is manufactured by Wicklow Garden Products. The latter we seen in Atlantic Homecare in Liffey Valley and the quality was fantastic but i guess you are paying for it. We dont have cement posting to support the trellis so we need the heavier quality to ensure it won't lift in the next little gust of wind!

I think that it's worth spending a little more for less heartache in the future. I would appreciate if anyone could offer any advice in how deep we should root the trellis or anything else we could do to strengthen the support.