fence around house

April Raine

This is fro a friend who is not regd here

can one erect a fence to the front of a semi d council house in an estate house without permission of local authority? Can neighbours object if it blocks view/light and how high can it be. My friend wants to have it for privacy

Any fence over 4 foot at the front of a house needs planning permission.
Neighbours can get very annoyed if the fence blocks their light/view; unfortunately though in this country there is no legal right to light from the sides as long as the light from above is not blocked. What a strange and obscure law is that!
You know what they say though, 'Good fences make for good neighbours'.

Last edited:
how high is the proposed fence that it might block neighbours light?
it would have to be high enough to prevent neighbours seeing over it. i see Ophelia says a fence over 4 feet needs planning permission? What if the fence was four feet and a ledge was provided on top and plants placed on it to make it 2 feeet higher , would that be legal and need pp?

I have now called my friend and am told it would be preferable to have a hedge which can be bought ready made at 6 feet. Is this allowed without pp?

Last edited:
a six foot fence/hedge in a semi d seems very high and will certainly block out your light. What are you doing in the garden that you don't want the neighbours to see?

a six foot fence/hedge in a semi d seems very high and will certainly block out your light. What are you doing in the garden that you don't want the neighbours to see?
They want privacy at the front, front doors too close, nosey neighbours involving themselves in everything and they want to block this. I think they are now going to go with tall trees /hedge as they don't need planning

Any fence over 4 foot at the front of a house needs planning permission..
Hi are you sure it is 4 feet? Says at [broken link removed] that it 2 meteres which is over 6 feet

Citizens Information says "Capped walls made of brick, stone or block, wooden fences but not security fences can be erected as long as they do not exceed 1.2 metres in height or two metres at the side or rear".

Hi are you sure it is 4 feet? Says at [broken link removed] that it 2 meteres which is over 6 feet...
UK-based supplier, presumably different planning requirements.

Citizens Information says "Capped walls made of brick, stone or block, wooden fences but not security fences can be erected as long as they do not exceed 1.2 metres in height or two metres at the side or rear".

AFAIK this is correct.

Some estates were built on foot of planning permission which specifically prohibit any fences/ boundaries at front as authorities wanted to promote "open frontage"(my phrase as I cannot think of usual term)..this may not apply if your friend is in a council estate but might if its a council house in a privately built estate