Feedback on living & renting in the D6/D8 area.

V

Vectis

Hi,

I'm currently living in the UK, however I am looking to relocate to Dublin with my wife & young family within the next few months. I will be initally looking to rent before becoming established. I have been looking primarily at the D6/D8 regions..

I would like to know if these areas are considered Quiet/Safe/settled. Also any comments on public transport, local amenites, quality schools etc would be much appreciated.

Hi Vectis, I would consider Dublin 6/Dublin 6W to be more settled than Dublin 8. Great choice of primary and secondary schools. e.g. Presentation, St. Pius X, Our Ladys, Terenure College, High School and the list goes on! Also some nice big parks and playing fields. Dublin 8 has a slightly more urban feel to it but does have the Luas (a light rail system to from Tallaght to City Centre)

d6 generally a posh area with prices to match, dublin 8 is a bit more varied but none (apart from maybe parts of dolphins barn and inchicore) too rugged....portobello is a nice place, also all over the south circular road, kilmainham might be a bit of a bargain.......

in d6 - ranelagh and rathmines are top notch places to live

it really depends on your budget but if I was you Dublin 6 if you can afford the rent.

Dublin 8 has a slightly more urban feel to it but does have the Luas (a light rail system to from Tallaght to City Centre)
Dublin 6 also has Luas - the Ranelagh, Beechwood, Cowper, Milltown stops are all in this postal district.

I used to live in Dublin 8...Kilmainham end and moved to Dublin 6W.
The only reason we moved was for a bigger garden and easier access to schools.

Personally I adore Dublin 8.
The only good (its excellent)primary school near us was a gaelscoil and my OH wasn't in favour.

The beauty of Dublin 8 for me is the proximity to green spaces...memorial park, Royal Hospital Kilmainham and Phoenix Park.

We loved to run walk cycle...go for coffee in these beautiful places.
Bushy and Tymon Park are boring in comparison and not as close.

Dublin 6W is a nice area, good schools and a posher more middle class feel, but definitely less personality.

As a grown up I miss D8...but my kids are enjoying the bigger garden and closeness of their buddies in D6