Feed the Garden Birds

• Thread starter lightswitch
  • Start date
L

lightswitch

Just a little reminder re our feathered friends. Bread with butter or olive oil etc will do them fine. They need the fat/oil as well as the bread

Have been feeding and watering them since the weekend. They will not use the hanging feeder for some reason (perhaps too vunerable - I dont have a garden, so its hanging near apartment front door). Have been sprinkling food on the step (which they are clearing in no time) and have a dish of food and one of water on window sill which they are also enjoying.

I have a feeder in my garden for the past few days but no sign of any birds. Are they all dead around here. Never thought of the water.

Been feeding the birds and in turn the cats, aaah the circle of life Just kidding!! We've a few stray cats (one of which is black and amber coincidentally hehe) that hang around the house (and I'm sure any other house in the area, they are cats after all!) so we've been leaving stuff out for them, after the dog is in, and stuff for the birds, along with water

Any birds that enter my garden do so at there own peril.

Stocks are running low and I might have to turn to nature for my food.

I've had a robin waiting for me the past few mornings, amazing how quickly they get used to it!
I've been melting frytex, mixing seed into it and then putting it on the bird table.
Lidl have bags of seed and an energy mix with oats in it, very cheep (!)

I didn't think cats liked snow until I saw our fellow! He runs around the garden at break-neck speed like a lunatic and even rolls in it until he's covered.

Never seen anything like it!

I didn't think cats liked snow until I saw our fellow! He runs around the garden at break-neck speed like a lunatic and even rolls in it until he's covered.

Never seen anything like it!

Very strange. You should video that for youtube.

If they have stopped using the feeder, it may be that you have left the seeds in it all night and they are frozen.

Can anyone tell me where Im going wrong?
I have left bread out,with oil on a tray and a red pot with water in it.I put this at ground level then moved it to put on garden table.
Last night I put some more bread on the branchs of a tree at the furthest part of the back garden..
They are all still there..what am I doing wrong?

Ah fed the little darlings yesterday morning.

Only problem was that the dog next door broke down the fence to chase them.

Have you got a cat?
or sometimes if you don't normally put out food it can take time for them to come.
I would usually put out food and we've had a frenzy of birds the last few days.
The most popular food i've put out is seeds or porridge oats mixed with melted lard/frytex, that always goes very quickly.

No dont have a cat,but we have a dog who is indoors all the time.
Perhaps it will just take time for them to realise the food is there and that its safe.
Will try the oats now and see what happens..thanks

Over the past few days I have put out bread but very little success.

Our dog is indoors all the time and the wild cat that we feed only calls at night.

Will put out some water now.

I'm very disappointed because I walked to the shops yesterday and carried two big bags of seed home. It took nearly an hour to walk home and now most of them won't eat it. The small birds were eating the seed this morning but some of the larger birds drove them away

The porridge oats from lidl are very cheap, around 50c per bag.
Also chopped apple, bits of cheese and bacon rinds are good to mix in!