Fax software

Helen

Hi,
Does anyone know of reasonably priced software that would allow a user to send a fax from their PC over a LAN or via modem?
I've tried searching on google but get overwhelmed by all the different results, it's hard to see the wood for the trees.
I'm aware of Win Fax Pro but this is quite expensive for what I need it for, so I'd appreciate if anyone could let me know if they've used any other product.
Thanks

Have you tried using fax console in windows itself.
I have Windows XP. You will find it under Printers and faxes.
It is relatively straightforward to use and setup.

Thanks I will look into both of these options. I need to install Windows XP Service Pack 2 before trying the windows option but it would be great if it worked out.

Helen said:
I need to install Windows XP Service Pack 2 before trying the windows option but it would be great if it worked out.
Why? I thought that the fax software was in Windows for years now and not just in XPSP2?

It probably is but it wasn't installed by default on my laptop. I've installed it now, but it looks like I need to be connected to a fax machine on my side (locally or remotely)
I'm connected to a LAN and would like to send a fax using the internet. Has anyone done this?

You probably just needed to go into Start -> Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs -> Add/Remove Windows Components and then check Fax Services rather than install any new Service Pack. Still - it's usually good to install Service Packs anyway so if that also did the trick well and good...

As for sending faxes using the internet did you check out the online services that I mentioned earlier? Alternatively you may need to connect the fax to a PC and then share it (like sharing a printer) unless it's an ethernet-TCP/IP enabled device.

ClubMan said:
You probably just needed to go into Start -> Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs -> Add/Remove Windows Components and then check Fax Services rather than install any new Service Pack

You're correct there, but I needed the CD Rom to install the new components.

ClubMan said:
did you check out the online services that I mentioned earlier?

Just checked them now:- Most of them seem to require a subscription of approximately 10 euros per month. I only want the facility for ad hoc faxes so it's not worth signing up to one of these providers.
I just thought with all the free software out there at the moment that it would be possible to send a fax for free!

If you are using it through your Lan, you will need to connect it to a fax device. If you have no fax device connected you will probably need to get this done.
Or try a service provided where the fax gets delivered to your email. I have not tried these myself so cannot vouch for them.
www.efax.com[FONT=arial,sans-serif]

[/FONT]

If you need to buy a modem there is a good chance that something akin to ( entry level ) Winfax will be bundled with it. Ask before buying.

I got a very helpful email from a guy at iflow who clarified the pricing for me. To send a fax over the internet using IFLOW, you only pay the price per page which is 4c - 12c depending on whether it's peak or off peak.

The subscription fee only applies if you want avail of the fax receiving facility.

Bear in mind that there are potential security/privacy issues when using a third party fax service. If you will be sending/receiving sensitive information (particularly relating to others) then you may need to tease these out.

Back