faulty immersion heater

col

I self built a house 3 years ago and put in a pressurised water system in the house (no attic tank). Just before Christmas I had a problem with my immersion heater and I was informed by my plumber that the element (coil) in my immersion tank had a hole in it. He said it was most likely caused by corrosion and as such it would not be under any warranty from Heatmasters (supplier). This is my third house and I never had a problem with an immersion before and I cant imagine corrosion being the issue after only 3 years. Does anyone know where I could get this independently assesed. The cost of a new immersion is €1500 + labour.

That sounds outrageous. An immersion is just a simple heating element after all. The immersion in my own place has just gone after 5 years service. I think I'd keel over if a plumber quotes me a price like that to fix it. A quick search on the Internet shows immersion heater elements going for less than 50 euros.

Is it the heating coil in the tank that works off of the central heating system is nackered or is it the immersion electric element.

The cost of an electric immersion element and replacement would normally be around €150.00 inc VAT . But note that if is due to corrosion it may be impossible to remove from the tank so the tank may have to be replaced also.

If it is the heating coil in the tank then the full tank will have to be replaced . Look at aprox €150.00 for the tank ( depending on size and type ) plus day for plumber to change same ( isolate system , drain down system, remove old tank.. fittings corroded etc., install new tank, modift pipework to match position of inlets on new tank, refill system, blead system inc rads etc + test system also dispose of old tank recycle)

Thanks guys, its the coil connected to the central heating system that appears to be gone. As it is a pressurised system feeding a large enough house the tank is large. The plumber is recommending an Albion stainless steel tank 200 litres as the replacement. However the real issue I have is could a coil be corroded in such a short space of time (3 years). It that was the case surely everyone would be changing immersions every few years.

A couple of points here. An immersion is an electrical heating device that is usually screwed in to the hot tank at the top. Your problem seems to be the heating coil which is a hot water pipe fed from the heating system. Hot tanks and particularly stainless steel tanks can cost up to €2K and the rest. If there is a leak in the heating coil which is inside the tank it might be an idea to dose the system with a sealing product. I think there have been threads on this issue in the past.

Back