faulty camera, no receipt

C

coininban

Any advice of rights with a camera, still under warranty, that has developed its second major fault. Trouble is can't locate the receipt but have the credit card statement of the transaction. Can I demand a replacement without a receipt? Feel like throwing it in the bin because both times it failed, it was just before a holiday!! Thanks

Most reputable retailers would handle this issue correctly. I think under consumer law you don't HAVE to have a receipt to be entitled to repair/replacement, but it does help.

The receipt would only be necessary for proof of purchase. If this could be established by other means (e.g. serial number of the camera, credit card receipt etc) then the original receipt isn't necessary.

Check with the ODCA for information about your statutory rights as a consumer although, as the other contributors suggest, common sense on both sides can also go a long way towards sorting the problem out...

[broken link removed]

Thanks folks, thats a weight of my mind. Bad enough faulty camera without extra hassle, thanks again. Have to check out another thing with ODCA anyway about another matter.

Depending on the outcome of the receipt/proof of purchase query and whether or not this situation can be resolved "amicably" your last port of call might be the Small Claims Court. Obviously you should attempt to exhaust all other possible avenues before resorting to this though.

Back