Faulty brake discs and pads ?

the king

i recently got new brake discs and pads for my ford transit 14 seater minibus. since i got them fitted by my mechanic, when i go to brake the steering vibrates like hell. anyway i told the mechanic this and straight away he said i will have to get another new set of brake pads and discs. i take it that he is going to foot the bill, but i am curious to know how this could happen as he did not enlighten me any further. any ideas on this matter would be muchly appreciated. thanks in advance

the king

i recently got new brake discs and pads for my ford transit 14 seater minibus. since i got them fitted by my mechanic, when i go to brake the steering vibrates like hell. anyway i told the mechanic this and straight away he said i will have to get another new set of brake pads and discs. i take it that he is going to foot the bill, but i am curious to know how this could happen as he did not enlighten me any further. any ideas on this matter would be muchly appreciated. thanks in advance

the king

OK, this sounds dodgy.
Was the vibration there before the discs and pads were changed?
Also is the vibration percievable when braking at low speed as well?
Also is the vibration consistant regardless of the pressure applied to the pedal?

IME by far the commonest reason for this is the rust which forms between the outer surface of the wheel-hub and the inner surface of the brake disc which is mounted on the hub.

When the old disc is removed, which can be a struggle if its been there a while, it leaves behind an irregular surface, with pits and raised areas of rust. These must be wire-brushed away and any loose / flakey material removed. Next coat the outer surface of the hub and the inner surface of the new disc (after degreasing) with a thin film of copper grease and screw them together. (Note: this is usually a single set-screw that holds the disc in plalce; the real job of holding the brake-disc in place is done by the wheel nuts of the road-wheel, which is why they are so important.)

The hub / disc assembly must now be checked for true rotation (no movement in or out of the vertical plane) with an old-fashioned run-out gauge or equivalent modern laser device.

If these steps are not observed, you will experience the symptoms you describe. Some technicians will try to tell you that the cause is a warped disc (in years of driving trucks, vans, road, "performance" and competition cars I've never seen a warped disc) and use the run-out test to "prove" their case, but they will never show you the real causes - rust and laziness.

IME by far the commonest reason for this is the rust which forms between the outer surface of the wheel-hub and the inner surface of the brake disc which is mounted on the hub.

When the old disc is removed, which can be a struggle if its been there a while, it leaves behind an irregular surface, with pits and raised areas of rust. These must be wire-brushed away and any loose / flakey material removed. Next coat the outer surface of the hub and the inner surface of the new disc (after degreasing) with a thin film of copper grease and screw them together. (Note: this is usually a single set-screw that holds the disc in plalce; the real job of holding the brake-disc in place is done by the wheel nuts of the road-wheel, which is why they are so important.)

The hub / disc assembly must now be checked for true rotation (no movement in or out of the vertical plane) with an old-fashioned run-out gauge or equivalent modern laser device.

If these steps are not observed, you will experience the symptoms you describe. Some technicians will try to tell you that the cause is a warped disc (in years of driving trucks, vans, road, "performance" and competition cars I've never seen a warped disc) and use the run-out test to "prove" their case, but they will never show you the real causes - rust and laziness.

+1
Very good answer Mathpac.
There is no beating experience.

1. the vibration was not their before i got the brake discs and pads fitted.
2. even braking at relatively low speeds the vibration is still in the steering wheel.
3. their is no vibration their, unless i press the brake

thanks

the king

Hi; Did you check where he sourced the parts? Were they FORD? If not were they certified as meeting some standard? BS or TUV for example? There is a huge amount of parts coming in from Turkey & the like & some garages are fitting them & charging a price lower than the manufacturers price, but not anywhere near as low as they should, given the bargain prices they source the parts at! Also, your insurance company might have something to say if you have an accident should the parts be proven to be sub-standard.

Back