Father’s unpaid tax – where do we start?

you should approach an accountant/tax advisor in the first instance rather than revenue.

you should approach an accountant/tax advisor in the first instance rather than revenue.

Thank you Ravima, I will take your advice. If there is anyone else out there with advice I would be grateful, thanks.

Does your father have a seperate bank account for his self-employed work?

Try and get the statements from whichever account was used to make deposits and list the transactions. This will probably be one of the first things an accountant will ask for so if you have this in advance it will speed things up. Don't forget to list the legitimate expenses that your father incurred in the course of the business as this will reduce the tax liability.

I fear he doesn't have a separate account for his work.

If the deposits go into his personal current account then the statements for this account will help you. I know that in the case of my parents, both retired, the only deposits are their pensions. If your father is in the same position then could you assume that any extra deposits are for work carried out?

Brightside

Sorry to hear of your difficulties

First of all, don't panic.

As a retired person doing what you describe as ‘semi-casual’ work, it is highly unlikely that your father earned large sums through this work - especially, if as you imply, he was not the most organised man in the world.

If he was aged 65 years or over when he retired, it is quite possible that his tax liabilities are zero.

Where one spouse is aged 65+, a married couple is exempt from income tax if their joint income is below a specified threshold. This threshold was €34,000 in 2006. This threshold refers to the total of gross paye/pension income (eg per P60s), additional income (eg interest) and self-employment income after all allowable deductions.

As suggested above, it is essential that you get professional advice from an accountant or tax advisor in the first instance.

DO NOT under any circumstances approach Revenue without first getting this advice. If you give Revenue the impression that your father's income was a lot bigger than was actually the case, you could end up being badly ripped off in any subsequent settlement deal. Do not take for granted, for example, that all non-pension lodgements to his bank accounts are from self-employment income.

Don't be afraid to look for suggestions on how your father can legally avoid (not evade) tax. As a taxpayer your father has rights and entitlements just as much as anyone else and it would be a shame if these are not claimed by him or on his behalf.

A good accountant or tax advisor will be able to make this process as easy as possible for you and should have the experience and expertise to ensure that your father's and your family's rights are protected.

as ubi said, don't panic.
get advise from friends/ local business people for an accountant in your area. meet him/her and explain,gader together all the bank statements you can find, get full pension details for all that time, get all medical expenses- doctor and chemist will give you a print out.
the accountant will sort it out.
now is the time to worry about your father and mother , not the tax man, he will wait.do tell your father that it is in hand and will be sorted, the accountant is great etc, give him some peace also.
Hope it all works out, I am sure it will.

Back