Fasnet Broadband

bottle

Hi,

has anybody ever used/or heard of a company called Fastnet Broadband for wireless broadband?

ClubMan said:
What's necessarily wrong with that?

Satellite , being necessarily 30,000 km above our heads, is slow and suffers hideous latency. Its good for browsing but thats pretty much it. Its hideous for email and ecommerce (SSL)

There has been an eruption of so called service providers reselling satellite recently . Naturally none of them own a network or sat.

etel said:
Satellite , being necessarily 30,000 km above our heads, is slow and suffers hideous latency. Its good for browsing but thats pretty much it. Its hideous for email and ecommerce (SSL)
Yes - it has higher latencies but that doesn't necessarily matter for many applications. I don't see how it's hideous for email since this requires lower reponse times than browsing. It's hardly hideous for eCommerce in general unless you mean last minute auction bids or something?

There has been an eruption of so called service providers reselling satellite recently . Naturally none of them own a network or sat.
So what? Satellite broadband is just another option and the only one for some people. A former colleague of mine worked as an independent software engineering contractor mainly from home. He required regular use of broadband (e.g. for remote source control access etc.) and satellite was the only feasible option for him due to his location. There were some quirks with the setup (Digiweb) and the latencies/ping times were relatively high compared to other forms of broadband but ultimately it did the job pretty well for him.

To dismiss satellite broadband out of hand simply doesn't make sense to me. It's not for everybody but for some people it may be the only option. For many people's use the fact that it is satellite based would be neither here nor there.

I seem to recall that you have some association with a telephone company so perhaps you have a conflict of interest here?

They also seem to offer some other form of wireless other than satellite though it is a little murky where they offer it.

Their satellite offering is quite expensive but is at least two way.

Personally I would consider satellite as the last resort for broadband. My preferred order (based on research not experience) would be Cable, DSL, Fixed Wireless if implemented well by the ISP, Satellite if affordable and Dial-up.)

Based on experience as I have had both I can say that good Fixed Wireless is most of the time comparable to DSL though very occasionly it gives me problems). A look at the broadband forums on boards.ie though will give you a flavour of what Fixed Wireless can be like with some ISP's in Ireland.

Back