Fascias blown off with the wind

Megan

A large portion of fascias blow off my house by the wind on Sunday. It is PVc which was done about 10 years ago. The timber board is very badly rotten - will this need to be replaced before new fascias is replaced.
I dont remember the board being rotten when the new PVC was put on 10 years ago.
Would I have any come back with the company that did the job? They are a well know PVC Company in my area.

In a word- no. Unless you have a written guarantee for more than 10 years.

Just thought I would report back on this. I had th fascia repaired. They replaced the timber (about 8 foot long) and refited the old fascia. It took one hour to do this and I was charged €150.00. I was just wondering what is the going hourly rate for this type of work.

Was the timber other than this 8 foot section intact? It seems odd that only part would be rotten and the rest would be OK.

The €150 charge doesn't just cover the "one hour's work"- you must also consider transport, tools, access and materials used. Trying to do repairs like that (possibly working from a ladder) are not easy....

Originally Posted by Megan
They replaced the timber (about 8 foot long) and refited the old fascia. It took one hour to do this and I was charged €150.00. I was just wondering what is the going hourly rate for this type of work.
I'd have thought that was a very reasonable charge for the work involved, two men, and travel. I bet it wasn't in Dublin but, if it was, could you post contact details. They sound like gems!

Was the timber other than this 8 foot section intact? It seems odd that only part would be rotten and the rest would be OK.
Its a V shape to the front of the house and it was just one side of the V that blow off and that is what they repaired. I suppose it is possible that the other side is rotten to but I dont know.

Re this:The €150 charge doesn't just cover the "one hour's work"- you must also consider transport, tools, access and materials used. Trying to do repairs like that (possibly working from a ladder) are not easy....
When you are quoted a rate for an hour's work surely this covers all of the above. To me it is €150 for an hour's work. It was a company in this type of business that did the repair so naturally they would know what was envolved. They fitted the fascias orginially about 10 years ago.
They are not in Dublin Sherib.

the €150 aso covers transport time to and from base .
For any job less than 6 hours I allways charge for travel time.
Any job over 6 hrs I charge just on site time.
You had 2 men on site ( 2 requied for ladder work for insurance ).
1 Hr travel to site + 1 hr working + 1 hr travel back to base X 2 men.
equals 6 man hrs .

If the wind was strong enough to blow the fascias off then rather them than me to be working at the top of ladders. The insurance for this type of business is expensive and probably adds to the costs.

you didnt happen to notice if they used treated timber?? or else you'll be having this problem again.
150Euro is a decent enough price.

The company is only 10 minutes away from me not an hour.

If the wind was strong enough to blow the fascias off then rather them than me to be working at the top of ladders. The insurance for this type of business is expensive and probably adds to the costs.

I wasnt that lucky to get them to come that quick - it took at least 2 weeks to get them to come after a number of phone calls.
It seems to be the general feeling here that it was a fare price.