Famous Dublin restaurant closes.

PMU

Gimme a break!

I note from today's TheJournal.ie that Govinda's vegetarian restaurant in Aungier St is closing after 22 years. https://www.thejournal.ie/govindas-closure-4946163-Dec2019/. Congratulations to Govinda's for running a successful business.

But the article states that: “The food in the restaurant features all kinds of ingredients, none of which involve harming living things.”. Now, the last time I looked, vegetables, i.e. plants that are consumed as food, are “living things”. Or they were living before they were harvested. And harvesting does harm the vegetables, in that they are killed and then prepared for consumption.

Also there is a quotation “The food we do is all pure vegetarian, there’s no meat fish or eggs, that’s really important because we’re preaching non-violence to all living entities, that’s the reason for a lot of vegans as well,”. Sound sentiments, and I'm certain we all, vegetarian or otherwise, support non-violence to all living entities, but this ignores that fact that vegetables are living entities. And harvesting, e.g. ripping vegetables from the ground, is are relatively violent act. It's where the vegetables meet the 'Grim Reaper'.

I love veggies by the way, living or otherwise. But all I've got from eating them is taste and nutrition; somehow I missed out on the moral superiority.

Back