Family home, land allocation after parent's separation.

Tanya's

Parents have separated, 4 kids,

Each were told they'd get a certain piece of land. I've looked after the family home i.e. put money into the up keep and improvements of it and lived in it as this was to be mine. Can I claim or how would I claim back my monies if the house was to be sold?

Last edited by a moderator:
The time to have done it would have been when you put the money in.

How much did you put in over how many years. Have you already recovered it through living there rent-free?

It's hard to give advice at a distance. But as of now, I don't think you should do anything until they decide to sell the house. You could then ask them for part of the proceeds. But you would have no legal right to it in the absence of an agreement.

Brendan

Parents have separated, 4 kids each were told they.d get a certain peace of land. I've looked after the family home i.e. put money into the up keep and improvements of it. and lived in it as this was to be mine. Can I claim or how would I claim back my monies if the house was to be sold?

The time to have done it would have been when you put the money in.

How much did you put in over how many years. Have you already recovered it through living there rent-free?

It's hard to give advice at a distance. But as of now, I don't think you should do anything until they decide to sell the house. You could then ask them for part of the proceeds. But you would have no legal right to it in the absence of an agreement.

Brendan
I've lived here all my life. Money wise it's probably up to about 80 thousand the house was said to be mine that's why I put money into it. But if its going to be sold I want my money back.

It doesn’t really matter what you want I’m afraid. It’s what the others agree to. I wouldn’t be confrontational about it. It’s about coming up with something that’s fair. You’ll get a quarter of the €80k back because it’s yours anyway, so it’s €60k but the counterargument is the rent-free aspect. Tricky.

I've lived here all my life. Money wise it's probably up to about 80 thousand the house was said to be mine that's why I put money into it. But if its going to be sold I want my money back.
Were you able to fund that 80K becasue you were living rent free? Were the upgrades done to enhance your physical living conditions. Is there a parent in the house and did they pay for all utilities bill and food?

It was 80k over a number of years. All my siblings have grown up moved out have there own families I live in the house with my family. The upgrade was to keep the house livable. Which was only done cause the house was promised to me as my other siblings have got and will get there peace of land.

I know you probably do not want to share too much detail on here but is the scenario

a) You are an adult child living at home with your parents. As a result of their promise that the house would be willed to you, you invested €80K of your money into the house over the years to maintain and upkeep it. Your parents are now separating and are selling the house to fund their new accommodations.

b) Your parents were separated but you continued to live in the family home with your spouse and children and you invested €80K in it over the years as it was promised to be yours in the future. Your parents have subsequently died and the house is to be sold.

If it is a - then talk to your parents - they should acknowledge the contribution you made - and you should ask them for a payment from the sale of the house - factoring in both the improvements and the rent free living.

If it is b - perhaps ask your siblings to give up their share in the family home so you become the owner (essentially they sell their shares to you). Obviously it is more complex than that but a good place to start. They may also understand the house was also promised to you and want to see you right.

Back