Family holidays in Aquitaine Region France

ney001

Hi guys

Looking for information on Aquitaine Region France for holidays this year. Five people going, parents (early 50's), young child (11) and ourselves (late twenties). We want to hire a villa with private pool but I don't know where would be the best place. We would like to be near to a fairly big sized town (especially me and Mr Ney) for Restaurants and nightlife (is there such a thing?).

Does anyone have any recommendations on the area, where to stay, things to do?I must admit France would not be my first choice for holiday but due to a family illness recently we would all like to go away together and the parents love France. We will be travelling around a good bit and I am not stuck on this region if anybody could recommend anywhere else.

Thanks in advance

Yikes, that's quite a tall order. I suppose Bordeaux is one of the biggest towns for restaurants and nightlife. Easy and cheap to get there from also. Further down the coast Bayonne and St Jean de Luz have the Basque country charm about them, but nightlife I'm not sure.

Maybe Nice is more fun?

Have a look a the Tripadvisor.com website also

Yup tall order I know. As I said not stuck on that region at all - I'd like nice myself but I'm told it will be too hot in July for the parents :rolleyes:

So, I would like somewhere possibly near train line to allow more freedom for travel without having to drive, as said it would have to be near a relatively big town (we don't want nightclubs or anything but a few pubs and/or restaurants would be nice). Also thinking of doing Eurodisney for a couple of days. The order just got a lot taller I think :eek:

Thanks

The area around Biarritz Anglet Bayonne is fabulous. Biarritz has old-world appeal, Anglet (and all the coast north and south) has beaches and Bayonne has some good nightlife (I believe), the festival of Bayonne in early August attracts about 200000 young people, there are great quirky little shops, and, if France is really not your thing, then you're only 30 mins from San Sebastian in Spain which is gorgeous and lively; and about the same to the pyrenees.

You have to see the Great Dune of Pyla.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Dune_of_Pyla

Highly recommended, but not for the faint hearted. You climb up a make-shift stairs to the top of the dunes, which are over 100 metres above sea-level. You can then run down the other side towards the sea. You need to remember that you have to climb back up to the top without the aid of a stairs, which is not easy on a hot day. Bring plenty of water & a sun-shade.

I was as a child in "Lac du saut du loup" in Miramont. It was really nice with lots of activities.
Maybe you could check that. There used to be some bungalows for rent close to the lake, and apparently they now have swimming pools and so on.

Not to mention that Bordeaux is really close, so all adults and children would enjoy the journey :)

Back