Family holiday in Poland? Sopot?

Squonk

A relative of mine is getting married this July to a Polish girl in Torun. Consequently, we are considering having our summer holidays in Poland. I have two kids (7 & 8). I've searched the internet and a place called Sopot looks like a nice resort. Anybody being there? What is Poland like in general as a holiday destination for a a family? How is the food, entertainment, language, driving etc. Thanks for any help you can give.

Was in Sopot last year and it is a nice seaside resort. Irish team will stay there during Euro2012. Although when I went in May it was freezing but it seemed to be unusual for the time and I would say the place would be great if the weather was good. Hotel I was in was top class but not especially cheap. Personally I think Poland is great for people and beautiful places. There is also loads of historical interest if your are into that sort of thing. So how suitable it is for a family depends on what are your interests. There is a lot of information out there, so I suggest you swat up on that depending on your interests. Why not also ask the relatives for pointers, there is nothing like people on the ground to help you.

Update : booked the Sheraton hotel in Sopot. Got a good discount when I haggled with them, but still not cheap! I believe the Irish soccer team is actually staying there before me. Met a few people who had stayed in Sopot in the past (Polish + Irish) and all the feedback is positive, so fingers crossed.

Hey squonk, myself and the bride to be are getting married here in august, las there last august and the weather was perfect, couldnt have been happier, the hotels are quite expensive, avoid breakfast in them, complete waste of money, we will be in the grand hotel next to yours, theres a great aqua park for your kids in sopot and malbork castle is worth a visit if your into history and of course gdansk is on your door step, this is where ww2 started. Enjoy

I made it to Sopot. Great place indeed. Great food. Everybody speaks English. Weather is a bit hit-and-miss. Rained for 2 days, mid-20s now. No riff-raff here. Even the most expensive restaurants are dirt cheap compared to Ireland. I just had a delicious fillet steak for E18. A pint of local brew is about E2. I'll say no more in case it becomes too popular!

Back