Family areas in Galway (kids 5, 4 and 1)

R

Raia9919

Hi!

We will move to Galway next year.

We are looking for an area where my kids (5, 4 and 1) will have a good place to grow. My son has to start school next year too. At the moment he doesn´t speack english very well.

Thanks for helping

Re: family areas in Galway - please help

Try somewhere like Moycullen village- about 5 mins drive from Galway city.
Countryside location, yet near to the facilities of a really nice city.
Plus you are also on the doorstep to the beautiful Connemara for your weekends and summer holidays.
There are national schools in the area and secondary schools in either Galway city or Oughterard.

Some part of the city are quite expensive. Are you looking at buying or renting ? What type of primary school you want your kids to attend (Gaelscoil, Educate Together, catholic) etc ? Which part of the city is your / your partner's work ?

Try to stay west of the city, either Barna, Moycullen, Oughterard, knocknacarra etc. Don't buy in Mervue, Merlin Park, Ballybrit, Renmore etc. These are harder to re-sell in quiet times, and the quality of life that you will enjoy will be much better on the west side of the city.

I have nothing against Barna, Moycullen, Oughterard, knocknacarra however you will face some traffic if you live there.
We live in Newcastle, have three kids, its great for access to Galway city and westside library is fantastic and we walk (avoiding the rain drops) as much as possible. Shopping centers are close by as well.

Hi!

We will move to Galway next year.

We are looking for an area where my kids (5, 4 and 1) will have a good place to grow. My son has to start school next year too. At the moment he doesn´t speack english very well.

Thanks for helping

Hi Raia,
Could you give us some more information - if your renting or buying (what is your budget) where will you be working etc

Or a formula one driver!
The next time you come out of Glenlo Abbey hotel, turn right and head for Moycullen and see how long it takes you!

You obviously dont know what your talking about. Have you travelled over the bridge to west side of the city during rush hour? Until Dunnes opened all there was in Knocknacarra was roundabouts, houses and Joyces!

The next time you come out of Glenlo Abbey hotel, turn right and head for Moycullen and see how long it takes you!
Glenlo Abbey is not anywhere near the city centre.

Oranmore is much closer to the city than Moycullen!!
Also if you work in the east side of the city, you have a fairly quick commute. Schools are very good in the area and there is a nice atmosphere in the village/small town.
Also if you want to head to Dublin or down south you will spare yourself at least 45 minutes in travel time as opposed to living in the Salthill/Knocknarcarra area and Moycullen.

I have lived in Salthill, but would much prefer Oranmore. No traipsing across the city and Oranmore has the lovely Rinville Park area/Sailing club.
Ok I will shut up now!!

To the OP, you don't live in traffic. You are looking for a nice peaceful area to raise your family. Traffic can be overcome. Safety is of paramount importance.

I'd second Oranmore.I lived there all my life and go there regularly enough to know that, although it has grown enormously in the last 10 -15 years it still is a good family bet.
My sisters went to the local National and Secondary schools and the standard is good. Several students attend from the Eastern suburbs of Galway city rather than go to the city centre schools, but this could also be for traffic considerations.
Any place in the West will involve huge traffic problems but are favoured by the Medical/ University set as both are located west of city centre.
Oranmore will have a commuter rail link from a station located 1 mile north east of the village to Galway city centre.( Unlike Dublins Heuston, Galways Ceannt Station is right bang in the middle of Eyre Sq and in the middle of all commercial activities...banking and legal etc, in Galway.
Another intriguing bet for the Rail commuter would be Athenry, 13 miles east of Galway city which already enjoys a rail link to the city.

I live in Oranmore and love it. I'm near the schools, shops and pub - all walking distance. I work in Ballybrit(East side of Galway City) so the traffic is not an issue in the mornings because I just have to negotiate the roundabouts and dual carraigeways. I am looking forward to the Commuter Rail Service that will go into the City Centre as it will be handy on Saturdays. The one thing about Oranmore; if you are not born here - you will never be a local - so say the "locals".

P.S. - Moycullen is about 5 minutes from Galway City but Galway City boundries go out very far. Its a lot more than 5 minutes from the Traffic Lights in Moycullen to the first set of Traffic Lights in Galway City.

Tuam is an area with very affordable housing and good schools but is 30 mins from city 2nd biggest town in county

Tuam is an area with very affordable housing and good schools but is 30 mins from city 2nd biggest town in county
But if you need to resell it, nobody will want it. You could sell a house in Tuam in good times, but not now. Avoid!

But if you need to resell it, nobody will want it. You could sell a house in Tuam in good times, but not now. Avoid!

In case you hadn't noticed this is an all island dilemma at the moment. No exclusivity to any area.

Even in a downturn, houses are bought and sold. Anyone who remembers the last collapse of the housing market in the late eighties will recall that you couldn't give away houses in certain areas, at any price. Tuam is one such place; going great when the mad rush to buy anything anywhere was happening, but not so good now.

Hate to mention it but this is no normal downturn. From the best to the worst properties aren't shifting. Personally i wouldn't advise anybody or anything to go and live in Tuam.