Fairview/Marino or Ringsend/Irishtown

Saudi

Hi

Would like to hear all of your opinions on the two areas above. Looking at buying somewhere in the €550-600 range and would like to get a house if I can.

Would prefer Ringsend/Irishtown but so expensive for small houses. What do people think of the Marino ex-council houses?

Would appreciate any opinions or thoughts you esteemed askaboutmoneyers have on these locations!

Cheers

S

marino's fine ,near to dart (clontarf station) close to city ,probably bigger house than you'd get in dublin 2 for little discernible extra quality in lifestyle etc.

Ringsend Irishtown is Dublin 4....Lived most my life there. Great area close to everything Beach, Park, Citycentre, RDS, Piont. The prices are a little on the high side (Hence me living in Kinsealy) but where isn't now. Lots of good Pubs but lacks on restraunts. Good settled area no trouble worth talking about.

Lived on the Crescent in Marino for a year or two when I left Ringsend. Same to be said for that Area really nice settled area in a good handy location (10 mins to city centre).

I would move to both but Ringsend would be my first choice...

Good luck with the hunting.

Cheers for the tips. I like the idea of the bigger houses in Marino, with a garden, for the same money as a small two bed cottage in Ringsend but I would worry about them keeping pace with Ringsend in terms of value. Irishtown/ringsend seems unbelievably hot at the moment, I wonder if it would continue.

Both places have similar problems regarding no supermarkets in the vicinity but Marino has the advantage of the Westwood being really close by.

Am I right in saying they are both the same distance in to town (if you call O'Connell bridge town)??

Ultimately I want to move to Blackrock/Booterstown/Sandymount (total pipe-dream at the moment!)

To be honest I think it's a quality of life vs investment issue. There is little doubt in my mind that your quality of life in Marino would be better, you'd have a bigger house, a garden, and the amenities in the area are IMHO as good as if not better than Ringsend - seafront, gyms, schools, distance to town etc. In terms of Supermarkets, you're about 10 mins in a car from Artane Castle which has a 24 hour Tesco as well as plenty of other shops. There's also Nolans supermarket in Clontarf and new coffee shops etc in Fairview. Marino is booming at the moment - however D4 may well increase at an even greater rate - the choice you have to make is if you want to sacrifice comfort now for possible gain in the future.

If you opt for Marino, (which I would recommend as I've just reluctantly moved from there myself) you should go for somewhere at the Griffith Ave end if possible - that way you would have access to the shops on Philipsburgh Ave and if you have a car, would only be 5/10 mins from Artane Castle shopping centre. Also there is a new large Centra nearby on Fairview Strand so I can't say I agree with you re shopping facilites. You wouldn't be a million miles from the Omni in Santry either.

post clashed with aonfocaleile - great PR for Artane Castle!! No seriously it's not a bad centre at all - plenty of parking. I live near the OMNI in Santry but will usually go the extra 10 mins to Artane if I get the chance. (read prior posts on awful Tesco Santry).

And lets face it - there's always Superquinn in Northside S.C. which is a bit further but its a much bigger S.C. and I think it has a Dunnes as well (open to correction on this)

That doesn't sound too bad in terms of shopping. Have been looking at the ex-council houses in Marino just behind Marino college Brian Road etc. They seem fairly well built. Any good pubs in the area??

I like Brian Road - lovely area, lots of green space. A lot of the houses are being bought by young professionals, putting money into them, renovating etc. For pubs you'd probably stroll down to Fairview Strand, or Graingers on the Malahide Road but I'm open to correction on this - having a new mortgage, I'm more likely to be drinking Tesco Value Wine in the house then visiting pubs :)

There is always Gaffneys which has a really traditional atmosphere with lots of regulars who are very friendly. On match days during the summer it turns into a jam packed mash of Dublin fans of which I am ususally one, but this mighn't be everyones cup of tea! There is the Goose Tavern aswell nearby which is another real local pub. Its off Griffith Ave - think road is called Glandore but I can't remember

Also, if you like decent beer, then one of the very best off-licences in Dublin is on Philipsburgh Avenue, Lilac Wines. Fantastic selection of top quality beer. Oh, and the collection of shops (butchers, bakers, small supermarket, hairdressers, etc.) at the top of Philipsburgh Avenue is great - really local, friendly feel to it.

Marino! Lived Northside most of my life but lived in Ringsend for 7 yrs. Better quality of life in Marino methinks and very close to town/Dart/Sea/Shops/Park/etc

I know a friend who bought one of those old houses and gutted it and now it's fab. Would this be an option financially?

Hi, been here in Marino since 1982/3. Paid £25,000 at auction. concur with sentiments of all previous posts re amenities, close to town, light airy feel, gardens (some 200 ft through extentions into landlocked commonages). I still get lost negotiating the two large circles of radiating roads. Most 'rat' runs eliminated, none in evenings out of town, but a little in mornings off Griffith/philipsburg avenues. Well built houses with interior walls of 4-inch cinder blocks ( warm ). Some roof pitches higher than others opening up attic possibilities.
Fairview Ave residents have at last put hammer on unacceptable and antisocial elements running amok near Smyths/MacGabhans.
Area has become a giant carpark because of bus corridor into town from Fairview park/north strand. (Assume other similar areas suffer similar grief)
Kellys or Fairview Inn has changed hands recently and now not for faint-hearted souls.
Over 1000 units going in around area (on Davies bathroom site on Richmond Ave, also opposite along the Tolka river bank on Richmond road, Fairview cinema site, and Fairview ave site (pp sought for 22 units) plus possible high rise at Readymix site next to North Strand fire station.

Overall, makes the south inner city look like third world (which it is). Come and enjoy Clontarf West ( as one agent described it!).
K

Thanks for that guys.

The Marino area sounds good although note the concerns about the new developments and increased traffic etc. I suppose a 3 bed house with a garden near the city centre should be a good option.

Kirvos, you mentioned the interior walls are 4 inch cinder block, does that make it very difficult to open up the kitchen and dining room in to one room. The kitchen in the house we are looking at is very pokey.

Thanks for all the help.

Saudi,
Just checked upstairs. The floor boards runs across house - so joists run front wall to back wall. So old scullery 8x5'' kitchen/back lounge dividing wall should not be a supporting wall BUT don't hold me to that. CHECK

Have extended out the back and split old 8x5'' scullery into downstairs wc and cloakroom/wine storage beneath stairs, and area around the old back door into new kitchen area of extension.
Had a galley kitchen for years, Mrs kirvos not impressed especially with traffic through the middle to exit back door.
Best to go see some houses and talk to people as to how they 'solved' the 8x5 dilemma.
For the record put the gas boiler in the back lounge fireplace and flued it straight up existing chimney. Had the advantage of not having to mess with/moving pipework to existing hot water cylinder in adjoining alcove.
Good luck. K

Kirvos

Sounds like you are fairly handy with the diy. Haven't even gone sale agreed yet so might be getting ahead of myself but was thinking the exact same re the existing kitchen i.e. turn it in to to a utility room/down stairs loo and then extend out the back for the kitchen.

Cheers for all the help. Hope we get this one have been looking for a while!

Saudi said:
I would worry about them keeping pace with Ringsend in terms of value.

Whatever about the question of whether the market is overvalued, I would suggest that the North side is certainly undervalued in comparison with the South side. So I would suggest that Marino would be a better buy. Appreciation has been rapid in this area in the past two years, that's for sure.

Would never consider the Westwood the prime attraction of the area, by the way!

There are a couple of threads on Fairview and North Strand which may be of interest.

Having enjoyed living in both areas I would say that overall Marino is a better bet. From a financial point of view the area is still catching up and while prices have increased rapidly in the last couple of years there is still room to grow. You WILL get more for your money.

One of the things I liked about Ringsend was its proximity to town. Marino is not quite as close, to walk to town will take a little longer but this is made up for by the public transport. The old Number 3 bus in Ringsend was rarely sighted while I lived there. The 123 is very regular and reliable, with the option of a walk to Fairview to catch any number of buses.

Marino has an advantage in that it seems out of town while being very close. It has very much an old community feel which you'll see around the shops on Philipsburgh Ave. In terms of pubs, as mentioned Gaffney's in Fairview is by far the best pub in the area. The Fairview Inn aka Kelly's used to be decent but since being bought in the last year has rapidly taken a turn for the worse as 'quality control' has been lax. Smyth's is average. Bear in mind that you're not that far from either Drumcondra or Clontarf for pubs/restaurants etc. if you feel like a change of scene.

Just to throw a spanner in the works try Donneycarney, the houses there are well built former council houses, if marino and Fairview is turning into clontarf west then donneycarney is definetly clontarf north west, prices have jumped from about 260-270k 3 years ago to well over 400k now, right beside malahide road bus corridor, m50, airport, omni, northside and santry shopping centres and Beaumont hospital plus a walk to killester dart station, huge amount of houses being snapped up by young clontarf professionals getting a foot on the property ladder, I made the move 5 years ago and no regrets.

Back