Health Insurance Fair deal scheme with shared ownership and a mortgage

Bow1798

Hi there,
Can anyone help me?, as we can find little to no information with our query.
My father in-law might need nursing home care in the future as he has been diagnosed with dementia.
Our current position is that my wife and I and our small children live together with my father in law in the family home.
The house is in both my wife and my father in laws name (I am not on the deeds), with an outstanding mortgage of €100,000 in both their names as well (even though the mortgage has only ever been paid by my wife and I)
He has a state pension only and no other assets, other than a half share in our home.

Can anyone tell me if our home is at risk or will we have to remortgage to pay off the fair deal scheme should he need nursing home care?

Thank you.

Can anyone tell me if our home is at risk or will we have to remortgage to pay off the fair deal scheme should he need nursing home care?
Should your father in law need nursing home care under Fair Deal, he will be assessed on his income and assets.

In this case his assets are half a house so he will be assessed on half the houses value at 7.5% for the first 3 years only. If he cannot afford to pay this then he can avail of the nursing home loan.

The loan is usually repaid when the person in care dies, but a deferral can be applied for in certain circumstances.

If you or your wife are caring for your father in law, then you should qualify for a deferral. Note to be considered a carer you should be in receipt of a carer’s allowance. If you don’t already have it probably a good idea to apply for it.

You probably also qualify for a deferral as a ‘’Connected Person’’

If you qualify for a deferral, your home is not at risk, nor will you have to remortgage to pay off Fair Deal.

A list of who can apply for a deferral can be found here;

https://www2.hse.ie/services/fair-deal-scheme/nursing-home-loan.html

Back