Fair Deal/Nursing Homes Fair deal sale of house after 3 years.

Ontheborder

Hi Folks,

First post, hello everyone.
My father is in a nursing home since April 2019 and wants to sell the house and payoff the debt once the three years are up.
He says he read something changed in the scheme recently allowing him to do so.
I thought if he sold the house while still alive, they would assess him on the proceeds of the sale?
I have googled it and seen an intention to change the rules but cant see anything to confirm it was done.
Thanks in advance.

What happens when a person in nursing home care sells their principal residence?

The Nursing Homes Support Scheme Office must be notified within 10 working days. The net proceeds of the sale will be included in the financial assessment as cash assets until the person has been in care for 3 years. The net proceeds of sale will no longer be included in the financial assessment once the person has been in care for 3 years. This is called the “net proceeds of sale deductible amount”. This also means that if a person sells their principal residence after the 3 year cap has expired, the net proceeds will become a deductible amount in their financial assessment

https://www2.hse.ie/file-library/fair-deal/nursing-homes-support-scheme-information-booklet.pdf Page 11.

(I think this change was brought in to encourage people in nursing homes to stop 'sitting' on their property until they died.)

Last edited:
stop people in nursing homes 'sitting' on their property until they had died
Because of course the one thing both the owner and their family wanted was to let a house moulder empty for years and continue to have the expense of upkeep and maintenance.

The change was required to make the treatment of the family home asset more equitable.

Because of course the one thing both the owner and their family wanted was to let a house moulder empty for years and continue to have the expense of upkeep and maintenance.

Correct! Furthermore, the idea of someone actually having to pay for the full cost of their accommodation in a nursing home was an absolute outrage!

Just imagine having to pay for something yourself when there are other taxpayers around willing and able to stump up in order to ensure that Johnny, Paddy and Mary get the full inheritance to which they are 'entitled'.

What happens when a person in nursing home care sells their principal residence?

The Nursing Homes Support Scheme Office must be notified within 10 working days. The net proceeds of the sale will be included in the financial assessment as cash assets until the person has been in care for 3 years. The net proceeds of sale will no longer be included in the financial assessment once the person has been in care for 3 years. This is called the “net proceeds of sale deductible amount”. This also means that if a person sells their principal residence after the 3 year cap has expired, the net proceeds will become a deductible amount in their financial assessment

https://www2.hse.ie/file-library/fair-deal/nursing-homes-support-scheme-information-booklet.pdf Page 11.

(I think this change was brought in to stop people in nursing homes 'sitting' on their property until they had died.)
Thanks for the reply to my question, very helpful.

Back