Health Insurance Fair Deal - not using the Nursing Home Loan Scheme

elacsaplau

Quick taxing question....

Say someone's contribution Fair Deal was deemed to be €500 per week - made up of €200 from income/pension and €300 in respect of the person's house. If a family member pays the €300 portion...…..is the family member entitled to tax relief on this payment at the marginal rate?

Thanks Slim - much appreciated.

Given your previous success (post 2), I feel emboldened to ask a supplementary, 4 mark question!

Extending the previous example, say the NH weekly fees are €1,200 per made up of €700 from the HSE and €500 from the NH resident. And that in addition, there are compulsory monthly fees for "activities" of €200...……...do these "activity" fees also qualify for tax relief?!

Hi. When is a fee not a fee? If the NH imposes a fee that is for additional activities but the residents cannot opt out, it seems to me to be part of the fee. The HSE has a list on the website of fees for all nursing homes. Any fees in excess of those amounts would not be covered by FD but would fall to be covered by the 20% retained by the resident. Additional fees have been discussed a lot recently in the media and need to be explored before committing to any particular NH. The Revenue website cites here https://www.revenue.ie/en/personal-...ome-and-additional-nursing-care-expenses.aspx

It seems to me that only the actual NH fees and any additional prescribed nursing or medical care would qualify for tax relief but l have no experience of the tax relief process.

Last edited:
Back