Fair Deal/Nursing Homes Fair Deal, joint account, tax relief

MidlifeCrisis

Hi,
I was wondering about my situation with regards to joint accounts. I hold a joint current account with my mum.
My mum needs to go into a Nursing Home and I am applying for the Fair Deal Scheme.
It's looking like it will cost mum 600 euro a week.
If I pay mum's fees from my sole account, then as I pay the higher rate of tax, that I can get tax relief of 40% on that amount?
Would it be ok to then transfer the net amount of money I pay each month from the joint account to my sole account?

I just wanted to be sure there weren't tax issues with this.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Are you looking to gain tax relief by “pretending” to pay your mother’s nursing home fee? Then you should not do that at all. You are not paying the fee and you want to get tax relief on something that in reality you did not pay.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I really do appreciate them.

So if mum wanted to use her pension to pay 319 euro of it, would it be ok for the whole 600 euro to come from my account, I transfer 319 euro from joint account to my sole account (because payment will come only from one account), and I claim tax relief on the 281 that I contribute.

Does this sound ok?

As long as you are actually paying the €281 and not getting it back you can get tax relief on it AFAIK.

I think if you mum gives it back to you it’s not allowed. Even if it is under the €3k a year.

Back