Fair Deal/Nursing Homes Fair Deal help

Mollymoo4

Hi,
I have some questions about the fair deal process in Ireland.

My parents both in their 70's own a house valued at approx 200,000. They have about 35,000 in savings.

If ONE of them were to go into a nursing home I believe they would pay 3.5% of house value per year for first 3 years.

If the sold the house whilst in the nursing home they would pay 3.75% of house price for first 3 years also.

What are the implications of signing over there house to my sister within 5 years of requiring nursing home support. I know if it it is OVER 5 years it is not taken into account.

Just worried that if they sign the house over to her and something were to happen in the next 5 years, would they have to pay it as an asset for every year they were in the home.

Thanks.

What are the implications of signing over there house to my sister within 5 years of requiring nursing home support.
It'll still be taken into account for the financial assessment.

Transferred Assets​

The financial assessment includes any assets you have transferred:
  • in the 5 years before the date of your first application
  • on or after the date of your first application
If you have given any land, property or money to another person in the last 5 years, you will need to tell us. You will also need to tell us if you transfer any property, money or land after you make an application.

Back