Fair City

Ash 22

Does anybody think it strange that Mags has been written out of Fair City while she is still alive taking into account her illness.

Does anyone watch Fair City?

What a complete waste of licence fee, especially the kids with the posh south Dublin accents trying to say things like "Roight Dah"

Its a classic example of awful Irish television, a bit like Glenroe was towards the end when George was captured by FARC

I don't watch soaps but Fair City does have a big audience so to call it awful is wrong.
You said a waste of license fee money can't figure that one out as already outlined the sheer number of people who watch justify's it's existence's .
I do not watch Fair City but alot of people do.

Does anybody think it strange that Mags has been written out of Fair City while she is still alive taking into account her illness.

Other characters get "killed off" in soaps while the actors who portrayed them are still alive, nothing unusual there. It's television, not reality. ( Lorcan, Billy Meehan etc. for example ) and yes, I do watch it c.50% of the time.

Fair City costs approx 80k an Episode. It makes a huge amount of revenue through the commercial breaks as is peak viewing and has huge numbers of watchers 496,000 week ending 27/09/2009. A waste of License fee it certainly is not.

This is one of the RTE programmes most watched by the public who pay their licence fee. So how is it a waste of their money?

I watch it, and I am not an old granny. Yes, sometimes I cringe but its the only thing I watch on rte really. That and "Reeling in the years"

Other characters get "killed off" in soaps while the actors who portrayed them are still alive, nothing unusual there. It's television, not reality. ( Lorcan, Billy Meehan etc. for example ) and yes, I do watch it c.50% of the time.

I think Ash's point is that, in real life, the actress who plays Mags is suffering from Motor Neurone disease, so 'killing her off' in the Soap might be a bit insensitive.

"Reeling in the years"

OT, but I think this is one of the best things RTE has ever come out with.

Ingenious really - cheap to make, interesting and entertaining.

Quite a few non Irish people seem to like it (easy going cultural initiation?) and have commented to me that they cannot believe their own countries have not produced a similar programme.

Reeling in the years was tried in the UK under Rock and Roll years was not as succesful. I'm sure other countries have tried something similar.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Jaaaayyyyyyyyssssuuuuuuuuuus.

Can't watch it - to many Dubs in it! The missus watches I - its now turning out like Steptoe & Son - can someone get rid of that 'miserable aaaauuuld b*lliks part played by Eamon Morrisey.

I think Ash's point is that, in real life, the actress who plays Mags is suffering from Motor Neurone disease, so 'killing her off' in the Soap might be a bit insensitive.

Thanks liaconn thats exactly what I meant.

To those that think it a waste of money I don't agree atall. A huge amount of people enjoy watching it. Some people enjoy soaps, others sport etc. Just because we don't like a programme we can't say its a waste. If that was the way things worked we would'nt have any tv to watch. Everybody to their own taste.

Thankfully it is always on at the same time as the kids bedtime, did catch a bit of one episode a few days ago, the "American" accent of yer man who used to be in Bosco has to be the worst I have ever come accross

I watch it from time to time. Billy imo was one of the best soap baddies ever.

I find the story with Annette hilarious. Her husband wants €100K for her!!! Have to hand to the FC writers for that one - don't think any soap has had a story line like this. And in a reccession to boot!

Oh and Leo - I keep waiting for him to knock over the whole set with the amount of arm waving.