FAI refuse permission to Limerick to Play Barcelona in July

Z

z104

The same FAI who had Ireland play Brazil in another country instead of playing in Dublin.
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/fai-pulls-defeat-from-jaws-of-victory-2182023.html

These guys appear to be fairly foolish at least , definetly incompetent and most certainly the worst type of organisation who put their own Power needs above those who they should be working for i.e the fans.

It really shows up the FAI for the small minded alexadoos that they are.

The FAI are amatuers compared to Limerick FC who have done a huge amount of groundwork and preparation to bring FC Barcelona to Limerick.

Fair Play to Limerick FC for thinking big and Shame on the FAI for their typical small minded begrudgery.

Yes, the indo don't seem to be fans of Delaney & the FAI to say the least.
Some one should ask Roy Keane what he thinks

What happens if the match goes ahead without the say of the FAI?

What would they be able to do about it?

If every team took the initiative to earn some badly needed funds then they wouldn't be so dependent on the FAI for cash. It's like the FAI want teams to be dependent on them.

I also understand that the first match in the new stadium... Man Utd versus a League of Ireland selection, will not be available to those that bought 10 year tickets from the FAI.

These guys don't have a clue.

The same FAI who had Ireland play Brazil in another country instead of playing in Dublin.

In fairness, this was offically a Brazil home game - Ireland was the away team & agreeing to play an away fixture in London is better than playing it in Rio.

Man Utd versus a League of Ireland selection,

This is just a money making exercise and I dont think it will show LOI soccer in the best light. What's going to happen is that the LOI clubs will be reluctant to release their best players for a friendly right in the middle of the LOI season and the LOI team that takes the field will be very weak and wont have trained together. Would have been better to have Man U play one of the Dublin clubs and pay both the club and the players a win bonus in addition to an appearance fee.

Anyone got a copy of the FAI By-Laws? I'd be interested in what it says regarding sanctioning of friendly games. I'd nearly bet money that you could drive a bus through the legal loopholes in them.

Why anyone pays to go these matches is beyond me. They are nothing but training exercises to teams like Real Madrid, Man Utd and Barcelona.

I would rather pay into a competitive LOI game anyday. I do have sympathy for Limerick though. Only the FAI could finally open a €400m stadium and still manage to create negative headlines. As for saying they are in discussions with UEFA about moving Boh's European match if they qualify and it clashes with the Utd game. I think that shows the amount of respect that the FAI has for the LOI and the clubs. How do they expect the sporting public to become interested in LOI soccer if the Governing body put a money making PR exercise ahead of domestic competitive soccer.

How do they expect the sporting public to become interested in LOI soccer if the Governing body put a money making PR exercise ahead of domestic competitive soccer.

Only the FAI could manage to enforce trickle up economics on their clubs. The sale of 10 year tickets to clubs in return for vouchers etc. leaves a lot to be desired.

In fairness, this was offically a Brazil home game - Ireland was the away team & agreeing to play an away fixture in London is better than playing it in Rio.

It wasn't a Brazil home game. On the tickets, advertising and match reports Brazil's name was given second

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/irish/8546506.stm

To be fair, most of the Irish players live in England anyway so you can see why it was classed as such.

[broken link removed]

Here's the official link from Highbury - it was Brazil v Ireland. If you check with FIFA they also regard it as a Brazil home game.

If you watched the match on TV you would have noticed that Brazil wore their home kit, used the home side bench and dressing rooms and the captions on the TV including the one in the corner had Brazil as the home team.

It was an Irish home fixture.

It was a fairly nonsense game in any case. The whole thing was a joke from beginning to end with the GAA complaining that it wasn't on in Croke Park while refusing to talk to the organisers, Robbie Keane's "will I won't I?", the high ticket price and the ultimate defeat.