Face Mask or Visor or Both.

a mask does it only if the people around are wearing masks too.

Well, wearing a mask will do both. In an environment where you have two people, one infected the other not, either one wearing a mask will reduce the risk of the non-infected person contracting the virus. However, if both are wearing masks, the odds of the non-infected person contracting the virus is lower again.

The main purpose of visors is to protect from particles entering the eyes.

The main purpose of visors is to protect from particles entering the eyes.

Just listening to callers in to 98 FM. They are saying that visors are great because they are not stuffy and they can feel the air coming in from the sides!! Maybe a dose of Covid air?

Also do they not understand that if air comes in then air can go out. Your cough or sneeze blasts out through the sides and below.

I walked out of a couple of hairdressers that were wearing visors and not facemasks. I was expected to sit in a seat while they stood above me with all their breath being directed down on top of me. I won't be supporting restaurants, pubs, delicatessen, hairdresser etc that wear visors and not supported by a facemask.

Sadly it will take an infection in a hairdressers etc here where visors were used before the authorities update their advice.

At least if everyone wore either one or the other it would be a good start . When everyone is wearing them then start talking about the technicalities of wearing them , we have get people wearing them .

Last edited:
Interesting article on Face Visors here. Basically saying what most of us thought all along.

This is a bit like the Climate Change debate; some people just take a position and won't shift from it no matter the weight of evidence pushing against them.

Some people just insist on trying to find a problem with everything. It seems to be in their nature, for some reason.

Some people just insist on trying to find a problem with everything. It seems to be in their nature, for some reason.
I agree, but I'm not one of them (he hastens to add in an attempt to stave off the obvious repatree).

I know that everyone is entitled to their opinion but if something was proven to be 100 per cent right there will be people queuing up to find a fault with it ( not you ) of course...

Ideally a mask ( FFP 2 if available)and visor ( to protect the eyes). A visor alone is less effective than a mask.

This is a bit like the Climate Change debate; some people just take a position and won't shift from it no matter the weight of evidence pushing against them.

In fairness, the "science" behind face masks has only changed within the last 6 months. Before that there was 40 years of empirical evidence right up to May 2020 that did not advocate the use of face masks only to be overturned in June 2020 based on modelling and associations. Only last month, the Chairman of Oxford University's centre for *evidence based medicine* told the Oireachtas Committee on Covid that he did not think masks worked. I'm not trying to start a debate around the effectiveness of face masks (enough of that on twitter) but comparisons with climate change deniers doesn't seem to be appropriate when even the experts themselves can't agree.

In fairness, the "science" behind face masks has only changed within the last 6 months. Before that there was 40 years of empirical evidence right up to May 2020 that did not advocate the use of face masks only to be overturned in June 2020 based on modelling and associations.
Can you post a link please?
People in the Far East have been wearing masks during flu season for decades. Doctors wear them ,nurses wear them, dentists wear them. I've never seen a video of someone helping people in a Ebola outbreak wearing a visor rather than a mask.

Whether it be mask or visor some people just will not bother to wear either.

People in the Far East have been wearing masks during flu season for decades. Doctors wear them ,nurses wear them, dentists wear them. I've never seen a video of someone helping people in a Ebola outbreak wearing a visor rather than a mask.

There are many links which I don't have to hand, I'll try and post some later but a search of Prof Carl Heneghan should pull up the clips of his evidence to the Oireachtas committee.
The circumstances you describe above all relate to medical professionals in some type of clinical environment wearing regulated face masks. Most people are not wearing the correct face covering which is usually a type of polyester or cotton face covering which they keep in their pocket along with phone, keys wallet. It also does not take into account human factors as compliance, talking, coughing.

The circumstances you describe above all relate to medical professionals in some type of clinical environment wearing regulated face masks. Most people are not wearing the correct face covering which is usually a type of polyester or cotton face covering which they keep in their pocket along with phone, keys wallet. It also does not take into account human factors as compliance, talking, coughing.
So an incorrectly worm unsuitable mask is less effective than a correctly worn suitable mask. Yes, I think most people agree with that.
My point is that a correctly worn correct mask is better than any visor and the evidence supports that position.

Back