Extractor fan for bathroom

john62

Hi there,
I am just about to rip out my existing bathrooms and replace with all brand spanking new gear. As a house that has many showers we tend to make the paint on the ceiling peel and get mildew on paintwork and grouting!!!!! I am looking for some top of the range extractor fans that will do a really good job-any advice anyone? Many thanks

Theres Lots In B&q, The Higher Output The Stronger They Are.
Make Sure The Extractor Fan Has A Good Exit So Air Can Circulate Faster Rate

Hi John,

A few points that I have found to-date with our shower/bathroom.

If at all possible it is best to have a window rather than an extractor.

The extractor probably won't help the problem with the grouting.

If you put an extractor in the ceiling you must make sure to vent it out to the edge of the roof as otherwise it will cause terrible problems in the attic.

i got paint to use in the ensuite bathroom and the main bathroom ceilings, it's got some kind of water repellent in it to stop it from soaking in the steam, working so far.. got it in a duilder providers, cannot think of the name of it but it was done by one of the well known paint makers...

Just a few other pointers, Sueellen is right in her suggestions. An opening window provides rapid ventilation and is preferable to an extractor, however there are good extractors available now with timed over-runs, humidty sensors and the like, all of which will improve the situation in your bathroom. Where you locate an extractor in a ceiling be sure that it is located safely- there are regulations concerning their location due to the electrical hazard in a wet environment, the installation instructions should give you more information. Alternatively low voltage (LV/ 12 volt) models are available for certain situations where it may not be possible to achieve the separation distances required. The flexible (or rigid) ducting in the roof space must be connected to either a proprietary vent tile or slate with an insect guard or to a soffit vent. It is important to ensure that vent runs are kept as short and striaght as possible, this will improve the efficiency of the fan. Also very important is how to deal with condensation- this will form inside the duct because the attic void is (or at least should be!) an unheated space. Use a proprietary insulated ducting (aluminium flexible duct is available) or wrap a solid duct (PVC pipe) with an insulant. Provide a slight fall on the duct to allow any condensate to drain to the external air. Last thing, if the vent run is very long you may be better putting in an in-line fan, which can work in duct runs of 3.5m or less.

Some very god advice Carpenter, I will certainly take all that on board. Thanks very much!

Not that it's any of my business, but hell, Carpenter, you have got to be the most helpful and knowledgeable dude in the entire Irish construction industry.
Before reading the thread, I was thinking I might have a tiny contribution to make to the OP's question (from experience, not background) but you have totally covered all the bases.

If we had a Queen we could get her to honour him In the meantime I want to win the lotto and get him to build me a perfect maintenance free house.