Extra things to ask for from plumber + electrician?

shoppergal

Hi,

Have received a letter today from our builders to say our house is at first fix stage and to contact the plumber and electrician with any extra requests.

Other than a few extra sockets that we want does anyone have any tips as to other useful things we should get done at this stage. Someone suggested getting an outside tap plumbed for but other than that we cant think of anything. Any suggestions?

Get a LOT of extra sockets rather than a few.

When we had our house rewired about 20 years ago we had at least 4 double sockets fitted in every room with 6 doubles 3 singles and the usual cooker box in the kitchen.
Make sure that you have sockets fitted below the level of the worktops in the kitchen and/or utility room to take care of dishwashers/fridges/tumble dryers/washing mackines etc.

Make sure that all water fittings can be turned off using an inline device rather than having to switch off at main stop tap.

What about extra TV points in the bedrooms. Also what about an outside socket for the lawnmower etc. Has it been plumbed for a dishwasher as well as a w/machine. Is it wired for an alarm.

Ask them for suggestions. As they are charging you extra for everything they won't be shy.

thanks everyone for all the suggestions. didn't want to ring them and sound like i hadn't a clue what i was talking about(i don't). at least now i can pretend to sound a bit knowledgeable

You could ask for smoke alarms wired in. Have you enough outside lights - both security and general use? Electricity for gate/intercom/garden lights if applicable. Lights for under kitchen countertops. Do you need sockets in specific places to accomodate an integrated fridge or microwave - that caught us out. We asked for all sockets to have switches - that may be standard though. Don't get too many sockets along kitchen countertop - we did and I think they are a bit ugly. Extractor fans in bathrooms if applicable. Note that if you want sinks that are attached to the wall rather than sit on a pedastal you need to tell the plumber now - thats what our guy told us anyway.

We had the sitting room wired for surround sound. If you have a home cinema system it is worth getting the speaker wires hidden.

What about dimmer switches?

This is something that was suggested to us when we did this 2 years ago but we regretfully never took up the idea. Have plugs and tv aerial plug both sides of the fire place so that you can have the option of putting the TV either side.

A switch below the kitchen wall presses so that you can put lights under the kitchen cabinets.

You should decide what wall you are putting your bed against for plugs.

The contractor decides where all the basic plugs and light switches go, so if you have anything different in mind now is a good time to speak up. We didn't want our bed against the wall that was standard for our development so we had to get plugs moved.

That's all I can think of right now!

As Billk suggests service valves (also called mini-valves) on some appliances are very useful (especially on taps to kitchen sink). If you live in a hard water area I would suggest you have first fix plumbing and socket provision for a water softener as a must. An outside tap and an outside power socket are also very useful. The immersion timer switch is definitely worth having, especially during the summer when you only need to heat water for washing etc. Are the rads being fitted with TRV (thermostatic radiator valves)? If not they should be. Ensure your extract hood in the kitchen is located to suit your kitchen layout. If you want one of those American type fridges you'll need a water supply for the chilled water tap. PIR lights to back and side of house are easily and cheaply put in now. Are you having an alarm fitted? Additional telephone sockets for broadband access in bedrooms etc is also a useful extra.

I think regulations stipulate that they must wire in 2 smoke alarms now and one heat sensor in the kitchen......

We just got our house re-wired and lights in storage presses, sensor lights and dimmer switches were some extras we got.

An outside tap.......not as important as some of the other things mentioned but amazing how often we use ours.

In summary you should consider following for electrician
Dimmer switches, wire for surround system in sitting room, spotlights, plug on chimney breast for electric fire, switch near bed to switch off main light, switch for ignition of gas hob, spotlights, wire for electric showers, wire for mirror lights over sinks, wire for lights over kitchen worktop, wire for lights in kitchen presses, extra tv and phone sockets, doorbell, smoke alarms, lamps on wall outside front door, strong floodlight for back garden, light in attic, plug in attic, position of cooker switch, position of dishwasher plug, washing machine & tumble dryer plug. cable for outside lights in garden front and rear, wall lights either side of wireplace, other wall lights, additional plugs in all rooms, emergency light, broadband.

For plumber, position of washing machine & dishwasher, additional plumbing if american fridge freezer, outside tap, additional plumbing if putting vanity unit in bathroom, size of shower tray, type standard ware, position radiatiors etc, electric shower, power shower etc

that's great everyone, thanks so much.(especially brianblake) things there i'd never have thought of.

No one has mentioned central heating- are you getting electric? If not, your plumber and electrician will both be involved. All sorts of good stuff can be done to save you money and make you more comfortable but at a minimum make sure you have a decent thermostat to control your temperature, and costs.

On the list of more frivolous items- a light inside your built-in wardrobes.

Shopergal,
Ask the builder for standard spec electrical drawings for the house.
You'l find exactly whats in place, so A)you won't get charged extra for something that they were already going to put in.and B)You wont be wrecking his head with a list of things that you didn't realise would be standard-their will be more important things to hound him over ie snag list.
Anything outside needs to be thought of now realy as you dont want to be breaking footpaths afterwards(driveway lights, electric gates, seperate garage).
Oh and maybe put a phone line to where the TV is going incase you want sky digital.
Hope this helps.

Back