Extra payment on top of VR

Lizzie007

Just wondering recently got vr but I am asking for the same package that my colleagues got 2 years ago should I be entitled to it ? basically ex colleagues got an extra payment signed off by the business but they are saying we are not entitled to it as it is business discretionary payment ...but I feel discriminated or am I totally wrong ?

If it's voluntary redundancy I assume that you are under no pressure to accept it? You should of course chance your arm and try to get a higher payment but ultimately the company are under no obligation to exceed your statutory rights.

Just because there was a different package on the table 2 years ago you are not entitled to the same.

Just because there was a different package on the table 2 years ago you are not entitled to the same.
I don't know the legal ins and outs but the company I worked for made a few redundant a six years ago with just statutory package. The people who were made redundant successfully got more because of a precedent a few years before that i.e. > 2 weeks pay for every year of service. It could have been a case that the company giving a goodwill gesture I guess.

I don't know the legal ins and outs but the company I worked for made a few redundant a six years ago with just statutory package. The people who were made redundant successfully got more because of a precedent a few years before that i.e. > 2 weeks pay for every year of service. It could have been a case that the company giving a goodwill gesture I guess.

Were they voluntary or forced redundancies? The OP indicates that the VR is in excess of the statutory payments. It is also voluntary so at this point no one is being forced to take it.

Forced but I don't think that matters. The point is they accepted there was a precedent and upped the redundancy to match the previous offer.

That's a good outcome for them. I would imaging that it is different for voluntary redundancies. Lets say you wish to let go of 2 out of 10 people doing the same role and you present a package to them. It is completely up to each of the 10 individuals if they wish to be considered for the redundancy after seeing what is being offered.

Back