Extra €1 on a box of cigarettes

How much will that make an average box of cigarettes now?

Heard one elderly man on the news saying that he is now down from 100 per day to 60

According to the Revenue, approximately 19% of cigarettes consumed in Ireland were bought on the black market.

This figure is only going to increase with this latest duty hike.

IMO this move is stupid virtue signalling.

i'm more worried about the 50 cent per ml on Vape Juice. I can buy a 100ml bottle now for about €15 so this is going to increase in price 5 fold to €65 !. The government parties will feel my ire in the next election as that's just off the wall. 500% increase in one budget !!!

Is that increase coming into effect at midnight? If not load up now @ the 15 euro price.

Seems more like health and tax signalling to me.
I disagree.

Very, very few young folks smoke these days. Really only old codgers that are hopelessly addicted are still smoking these days.

They can’t/won’t stop but will increasingly turn to the black market for their supplies.

So the overall impact on revenue/public health will be minimal.

According to the Revenue, approximately 19% of cigarettes consumed in Ireland were bought on the black market.

This figure is only going to increase with this latest duty hike.

IMO this move is stupid virtue signalling.
That excludes people bringing them back from holiday or those able to buy in duty free.

My wife still smokes , but I think she bought about 5 packs in the last year.

Between weekends away and friends and family coming from USA/UK, she has a steady supply at about €6 a pack and nothing underhanded about it.

Dusseldorf is a favourite destination. At €6.80 per 20, it's effectively a "Free" weekend away

I've read that counterfeit cigarettes (from China allegedly) can contain all sorts of nasty stuff that make them far more harmful to health than the legitimate ones. But what can you do if you're hopelessly addicted and can't afford weekends away?

I've read that counterfeit cigarettes (from China allegedly) can contain all sorts of nasty stuff that make them far more harmful to health than the legitimate ones. But what can you do if you're hopelessly addicted and can't afford weekends away?
Day trip to Düsseldorf - €67 last time I went. Early flight landing about 10am, departure about 8pm. Low price public transport. €20 for a pack of 56 cigarettes.